Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seperator Dust Problem

There has been a bit of a buzz on the Bullseye bbs today about the Dillon media seperator. Why doesn't DIllon offer a cover for their units to help contain the dust? The competition makes their seperators with a cover. Seems like a good idea to me. I've been using a cardboard box as a cover, as well as used "Bounce" fabric softener sheets to reduce contaminents.

Opinions??

Howard

There has been a bit of a buzz on the Bullseye bbs today about the Dillon media seperator. Why doesn't DIllon offer a cover for their units to help contain the dust? The competition makes their seperators with a cover. Seems like a good idea to me. I've been using a cardboard box as a cover, as well as used "Bounce" fabric softener sheets to reduce contaminents.

Opinions??

Howard

That's a very reasonable criticism. I wish I had bought the RCBS one, although I will say that dust from the seperation operation hasn't been an issue from me. I buy my media from a guy who does some kind of pre-treatment to it (dunno if its Dillon's additive or what, he is a Dillon dealer) which may keep the moisture high enough to prevent a lot of dust.

My biggest gripe is the one-peice metal crank handle that runs over the middle of the basket; it makes it a pain to grab big handfulls of cases out of the basket. I keep thinking I need to just get out the dremel and cut out the section of the crank handle the spans the basket. The hex nuts ought to be strong enough to keep the basket from sagging. I guess its cheap enough that if I trash it I can always buy the RCBS one.