Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Kind Of Brass Polish Do You Use?

Mouse

I used to tumble for hours and hours, using Midway (Frankford Arsenal) polish in walnut media. I am trying to wean myself from my fascination for bright shiny objects and just learn to shoot the ammo instead, so now I just use media, either walnut or a mix of walnut and corncob, and a bit of isopropyl or ethyl alcohol. Brass looks nearly as good.

But, if you want really bright, then one run with walnut to get rid of the heavy stuff, then a run with corncob and the FA polish overnight will give you brass that Snoop Dogg would love. B)

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 cup white vinegar

* enough flour to make a paste

Dissolve the salt in the cup of white vinegar. then add enough flour to make a paste.

I leave it runny and put it in a old mustard squeezeer seems to work................. Sure is cheap.

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 cup white vinegar

* enough flour to make a paste

Dissolve the salt in the cup of white vinegar. then add enough flour to make a paste.

I leave it runny and put it in a old mustard squeezeer seems to work................. Sure is cheap.

I am going to have to try that when I run out of the store bought stuff :o

Nu Finish 2000 in the orange plastic bottle. I'll have the tumbler running with the lizard litter (walnut media), and give it a few squirts. Let it run for five minutes or so and then use a stick to break up the media that clumps to the polish globs. Then I add my brass.

I went to Home Depot and bought one of those timers that you use to deter burglars while you're away on vacation. My tumbler ran for two hours for like 3 nights in a row, when I opened up my tumbler it was like looking into a treasure chest. Very bling, bling.

I tumble approx. 5-6000 pieces of brass per week. I use a Dillon 2001 with crushed untreated walnut shells. (12/20 grit)

It is a little dusty, and not only does it fill the air with dust, but the brass stays a little dusty. I used the Frankfort Arsenal polish, but it is not cost effective. Nu-Finish is also a little expensive for the quantity I tumble.

I tried mineral spirits last week, and while it did cut down on the dust, it did not do the job the midway polish did.

I think I might try a larger grit of walnut when I buy my next batch. We'll see how it turns out.

traxman

• 4 weeks later...

All I use is Dillon Rapid Polish and ground corn cob media in my 20 year old Dillon Magnum FL-2000. I run for 6 to 8 hours per load. (I like clean brass), and it comes out better than new inside and out. Bill T.

• 1 year later...
so i, as always, forgot to get polish. i found some Brasso and thought i would try it. i found this thread and saw that someone used it, then saw that some have issue. is it ok to use? matter of opinion? or what? thanks, GTG

Brasso contains ammonia which I think weakens brass not sure but I heard polish with ammonia is not good to clean brass cases.

I use Flitz media polish best stuff I have used.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

No polish for me. An hour or two in crushed walnut bedding from PetSmart and cases are plenty clean to reload and shoot. They aren't jewelry-grade but they're plenty shiny for me, and they resize and load with no trouble.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...