Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carpal Tunnel Syndrom

Rising Sight

I set a goal this year of making B class in Limited class. I made B class and quickly passed 70%. "A" class looked like a real possibility for this year.

A little over a week ago I woke up and my hand was numb. I didn't think much of it at first and just assumed that I had slept on my hand. A trip to the doctor confirmed that I do indeed have Carpal Tunnel Syndrom. Now , I have to wear a brace on my hand at night and maybe it might go away.

I'm thinking that shooting in production with the lighter recoil of a 9mm might be the way to go for a while until this blows over.

A friend of mine from Finland had the same problem. It turned out that the Carpal Tunnel symptoms were actually caused by a trapped nerve in her neck.

I'm am not disagreeing with your doctor's analysis, but if the brace does not work then it might be worth investigating.

I'm thinking that shooting in production with the lighter recoil of a 9mm might be the way to go for a while until this blows over.

It probably never actually "blows over". I've had CTS for about 15 years... it gets better and worse, never actually goes away.

Wait until you get really old and start getting tendonitis and arthritic inflammation to go with it.... that's what I have in my dominant shoulder now.

So, I can't dry fire or do strength excercises and my scores suck now.

Just don't get old.......

Trust in the brace. It works.

Production isn't all that bad anyways ...... consider it a nessecary diversion. B)

THE BRACES REALLY DO WORK!

Three years ago I had it so bad in both hands that the Doctor wanted to operate.

I went to another Doctor and after Two Shots(not booze) and a Year of sleeping with the braces,both of my hands are fine.

I shoot Single Stack or Limited 10 with a 45 and am 63 years old.

It may take a while but keep them on and it will really help.

pat

I have been wearing my braces every night. I have a sweet Production gun that has just been sitting in the safe while I shot Limited. I think I'll see how quick I can get my Production scores up to where I'm at in Limited.

I use one of there a few times a day http://www.powerballs.com/, the one I have is made by a different company. I have CTS in my left hand, had in my really bad in my right but had the CT release surgery 6 yrs ago on the right hand only. It's actually returned but is know where as bad as it was. But the us of this gyro ball has helped a lot and only sleeping a lot on my left side will my left hand go to sleep.

Edited by gotm4

I developed tendonitis in my right shoulder three months ago. Talk about pain! Got one shot of cortizone and was pretty good for a month... Now I am back to ibuprofen and tylonol every four hours. :angry:

I don't know which is worse, CTS or this. I can not move my arm above my shoulder, plays hell with shooting. Forget sleep....Every time you roll over on your shoulder--ouch. I guess I just have to take a few more pain killers before a match. Forgot those so called "pain killers" that advertise "all day relief" BS!

Anybody know a magic cure for tendonitis? :(

:D

I developed tendonitis in my right shoulder three months ago. Talk about pain! Got one shot of cortizone and was pretty good for a month... Now I am back to ibuprofen and tylonol every four hours. :angry:

I don't know which is worse, CTS or this. I can not move my arm above my shoulder, plays hell with shooting. Forget sleep....Every time you roll over on your shoulder--ouch. I guess I just have to take a few more pain killers before a match. Forgot those so called "pain killers" that advertise "all day relief" BS!

hi,go to www.mattfurey.com find his dvd on CTS and your problems will be gone.this works i teach it with great success!

I have also had it in my right shoulder for at least six months. In my case, it's worse because the inflammation caused by the tendon triggers an immune system response which attacks the joint...

Anyway, the answer to your question:

The treatment is cold packs applied to the shoulder, and do NOT move the arm in any way that causes pain in the tendon. This is really one of the injuries where you have to let it heal.

You should try "directions of motion" with your arm and I believe you will see specific planes of motion that hit the tendon which is sore. AVOID THOSE, and only move it in a way that does not inflame it.

Get those gel-paks for keeping things cold and put them in the fridge (not freezer) and lay it on the shoulder and leave it. You shoule see relief very quickly if you do the above.