Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Trojan: What's The Out-of-box Trigger Pull?

Eager

A freind of mine is considering a Trojan or a Springer. For that matter, I really like the Trojans too, and they've now risen to the top of my wish list. The Springfields I know have a pretty heavy trigger out of the box. On the other hand I haven't yet heard anyone say that they sent their new Trojan in for a trigger job. A 4lb trigger is what we both want.

Can anybody comment on what an unmodified Trojan trigger is like?

I am a Wilson Master Distributor. The STI Trojan is without question the best non custom single stack pistol built today. They are 100% reliable, very accurate and come with a trigger that really dosen't need any work. If you are going to use the gun for carry at any time I would not touch the trigger on the Trojan. Naturally I shoot Wilson single stacks but I own two STI Trojans that I will not sell. Just MHO

If you are going to use the gun for carry at any time I would not touch the trigger on the Trojan.

+1 - I would definitely agree with this. My trigger was pretty nice from the box - not a custom trigger quality, but pretty darn nice. It has a slight amount of creep... With a little bit of careful, informed work, I now have a 2# trigger that breaks pretty clean - that's without any work on hammer or sear angles, so the stock parts (on my gun) were very well mated.

I have one Trojan in .40S&W. It has some issues with the mag catch holding 10MM Mags to high, but otherwise it seems well built. Looking at the hammer and sear they appear to be made of tool steel and not MIM parts. Tell your friend to get one in .45ACP.

I own a 38 super Trojan and only problem was the frame had what appeared to be casting imperfections 'small holes', two of them. I phoned STI and inquired and they confirmed the lower was indeed cast. I could have sent it back but since I ordered it hard chromed and did not want to wait two months for replacement I decided to keep the pistol. I did have them send me a new extractor which was hard chromed with the rest of the pistol which is a no no. I don't know if they still have their Trojan frames cast or now use forged. Since it was cast I assumed the frame was out sourced. Mine is about 3+ years old and runs 100%.

They also make the Legacy, which is a forged frame. One minor detractor - it doesn't have an undercut trigger guard, and comes from the factory PVD coated, so you're missing that one nice feature out of the box. It's only available in .45, if that's a factor....

If you are going to use the gun for carry at any time I would not touch the trigger on the Trojan.

+1 - I would definitely agree with this. My trigger was pretty nice from the box - not a custom trigger quality, but pretty darn nice. It has a slight amount of creep... With a little bit of careful, informed work, I now have a 2# trigger that breaks pretty clean - that's without any work on hammer or sear angles, so the stock parts (on my gun) were very well mated.

Ditto on the Trojan. Mine has all the stock parts and I keep the trigger set at about 2.5#. If the hammer and sear are high quality and cut properly, you can "dial down" the trigger pull by simply adjusting the sear spring tension. If the sear and hammer are marginal or cut wrong, doing that will cause hammer follow or maybe even multiple fire events. Some typical production 1911's rely on the extra sear spring pressure to prevent hammer follow on a buggered sear.

BTW, mine was about 4# when I got it new, but very crisp and sharp break.

Edited by bountyhunter

This all sounds great. He says he wants the SS Trojan (he simply likes stainless) and is looking for who can get him one quickest. He's got a message into Brazos already.

Anybody know anything about those adjustable sights the SS Trojan wears (the STI T.A.S Rear Sight)?

http://www.brazoscustom.com/sti_guns/sti_trojan_ss.htm

TrojanSS.jpg

Mine was 4# when i bought it. After break in, it measured 3.5# on the trigger pull electronic scale.

The adjustable sight is called Novak style tactical sight. I just bought one from Caspian Arms. I saw it too on the latest Dillon catalog.

Edited by BOGA

The adjustable sight is called Novak style tactical sight. I just bought one from Caspian Arms. I saw it too on the latest Dillon catalog.

Not the same sight - at least, not in name. I'm not aware of STI OEM'ing the Novak - this is STI's "Tactical Adjustable Sight", or T.A.S. Much like STI has a knockoff Bomar.... ;)

My Trojan .45 had a trigger pull of about 4 lbs when new. It lightened up to about 3-3.25 lbs after about 1000 rounds.

I just had the opportunity to fire a brand new 9mm Trojan about a month ago, and its trigger was very nice indeed. I fired it on the day my friend bought it, so it had not had any break-in or mods. Nor did it need any.