Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breech Face Wear - How To Fix It - Data Driven

wsimpso1

OK, the last time I asked about this topic, the discussion became unpleasant. Let's deal in results with each repair type and see if we can keep emotion out of this discussion.

I am about to fit a new barrel to my Colt Series 70 .45 ACP pistol, and have a worn breech face, both from contact with the hood and from feeding cartridges. The hood of the barrel (an early 1990's Olympic Arms barrel with other problems) had big chamfers on both the upper and lower edges, and thus a narrow face in contact with the breech face. There is a case radius shaped wear mark above the firing pin hole in the breech face. I have received advice that I should dress out the wear, and fit the barrel to the new position of the breech face. I have also received advice that I should have an insert installed and then fit parts from there. No one suggested trashing the slide. I still wonder if that would not be the best plan.

So folks, have you had this problem repaired? What method was used? Did it work? How well did it last? I want to accumulate some numbers here, so the more of you that have experience with these methods, the better. Thanks!

Billski

I have NOT had it done but EGW has a good reputation for welding on guns.

Under 'gunsmith services' and then '1911 repairs'

at http://www.egw-guns.com/

Weld and redrill bolt face to correct primer erosion $50.00

Weld and recut and polish feed ramp in frame .45 $60.00

Replace stripped/loose grip bushing with O/S bushing (each) $15.00

Weld and recut disconnector track (series 80) $50.00

Repair cracked dust cover (per side) $40.00

Replace front strap with HI-GRIP insert $175.00

Carry bevel package to remove sharp edges $50.00

Weld and recut width of bolt face (Colt) $50.00

I would consider $50 cheap for the work and confidence that the slide was back to standard dimensions and conformation.

Billski,

Seems like there are more than a few 'what ifs' on this one.

- There has been mention of the old slides being softer. And, it sure doesn't sound like the one you have is all that hard.

- The depth of the wear is a factor. If it isn't too very deep, then dressing the face back might just work.

- Will this be a heavy use gun? Carried a lot, and shot little? A loaner?

- If you have to go beyond dressing, couldn't you still send it off for the insert if the dressing didn't work out? (Or, get that replacement slide that you are talking about?)

- Are you going to be shooting it for USPSA Major? (Which, while isn't low power...it is less than full power for the 45ACP.)

Flexmoney,

Thanks for the response from an experienced hand.

Yeah, it does seem a tad soft;

Wear from the barrel contact is 0.015 to 0.020", which is significant, but probably not enough to mess with feeding if I dressed it down that much and got the surface relatively "right";

Yeah, this gun sees a bunch of 172 PF ammo in IDPA and USPSA;

Sending it to EGW for face welding and remachining is looking like a really good idea - fix the out of shape face, machine it correctly, and presumably with a fairly hard surface. Their website shows this work for $50. The slide can go ugly the rest of this season, and be refinished along with the rest of the gun over the winter.

I don't know if they still have them but CDNN Investments had Colt Series 70 original slides with and without sights for under $200.00 already finished. The best I can remember they were about $140.00. Some had fixed sigts and some just had sight cuts. You might want to check that out first.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...