Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Docter Sight - New Usa Distributor.

I talked to Dean Makkos last night at a local match here in South Florida.

While I had heard some rumors before, it was confirmed officially last night. Dean Makkos, a nice, likable young man. A Grand Master in Open Division, and also the brains behind www.ipscaction.com has secured the distributorship and importing rights to this great product. (Oh, yeah, he will also be selling some of my products too, including my ever increasingly popular aluminum "thumb rest".)

For those who are trying to place the face, Dean Makkos ( BE-forum member "DEAN") had the honor of gracing the cover of Front Sight Magazine this last month. Yes, that was him at the Florida Open Match picture next to the "falling bowling pin ball", blazing away on the move.

New product delivery should start very soon. So I'm told.

what will the prices be? Lower/higher/the same??

??????????????

So far as I understand, everything should go on as before, other than the sights will be available again.

It is my inderstanding that Beven and Dean know each other well. Probably Beven was very influential in Dean's choice of the Docter sight, etc. But you would have to ask them...

what's he doing shooting with a C-more serendipity?

:D:D:D:wacko::unsure:

He already had a slide mounted Docter by Beven, that he used now and then, transitioning in from years of C-More use. Of course, he didn't have to "push" the Docter's sales then. I doubt it you will see him shooting a Serendipity again. I know this for a fact because he had both of his Serendipity's for sale (cheaply) at the last club meet. ;) I even designed and built for him a new thumb rest to mount in the Serendipity holes, which he will be offering for sale along with the sights. So, for him, Serendipity if out: Docter is in.

As of this writing, Dean did not have any new sights for sale (yet :( ). But he assures me they are coming soon. I suppose you can e-mail him at his website www.ipscaction.com and ask him about it. Tell him you heard about it here at the BE Forums. Who knows, being that he is a member here, he might just chime in and answer some questions?????

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

That's fantastic news about the Docter sights. I am considering moving from a slide-mounted Docter to a frame-mounted version and have made my decision to go for the frame mounted version since the sights will be readily available.

Since they will be available, will servicing for existing and new ones also be available. I am assuming the two go hand-in-hand but I would like to get confirmation just to be safe.

hey Everyone,

Yes, I am the new distributor of the docter optics sights. www.docterusa.com.

I will be contacting brian E to establish a vendor link for me here on the forums. The sights are being ordered as we speak, and I am taking pre-orders now (Not collecting any money) just taking orders, so if you want any please feel free to contact me.

AS for Beven, he and I are very much involved. He will still be slide mounting these docters and Bullet proofing them. For IPSC shooting YOU must still have the sights installed by Beven as he CNC 's onto the slide, and bulletproofs. It is very very cool..... The sight is placed very low onto the slide and the dot is right over the bore giving you point of aim point of impact from 1 yard to 100 yards.

As for my glasses, I am not selling them.... :) I am trying to talk to them to see if i can import them..

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me...

Thanks Venry, and for the cool thumb rest....

Dean makkos

That's very cool, because as far as I'm concerned the Docter worked over by Bevin is completely bulletproof.

If you like the idea of buying a complete 140mm or 170mm S_I mag tuned by Beven - no wait - talk to Dean, he can hook you up.

That's very cool, because as far as I'm concerned the Docter worked over by Bevin is completely bulletproof.

+1

Glad to hear the supply has been re-established... One day I'm going to put one of these on a carry gun. Just for the hell of it.

Dean,

Best wishes for you endeavor! Being middle age, I've been cosidering something to shoot for matches indoors for the winters here in New England. I don't really feel like drilling the frame, so have considered a slide mounted Doctor on my limited gun. Or maybe another top end to play indoors. Now, that option is back.

I hope not, from what I remember that was what Beven was selling the "bulletproofed" ones for. At that price plus the $200 for Beven's CNC machine work (not to mention the 2 month wait), sure makes me want to get used to the C-more mount being higher.

mpolans Posted Yesterday, 09:24 PM

Is that $398.00 price on the website correct???

If so, is that in US dollars?

[quoboynty77 Posted Today, 03:45 PM

I hope not, from what I remember that was what Beven was selling the "bulletproofed" ones for. At that price plus the $200 for Beven's CNC machine work (not to mention the 2 month wait), sure makes me want to get used to the C-more mount being higher.

te]

I suppose I'll have to ask Dean when I see him on Thursday night at our local match, unless he is monitoring this thread and set's us straight .

One thing to consider is that perhaps the $398.00 is the "manufacturers suggested retail price" only. After all many places sold this sight "discounted" before, whether as a deep discount or for older models. I remember "Natchez" selling them for a little under $300.00 as a close-out, or so I thought, untill a customer bought one and it was one of the later/recent models. I do not know what Dean's policies will be towards discount places such as Natchez, etc. I suppose he will be/is establishing his dealership network and/or reviving the old one. But probably that is the suggested manufacturer's retail price. We will just have to see what our normal retail sources will be doing for a final "acquisition" price.

By the way, there are other places besides Beven Gram that will 'low/cut' your slide (CNC and all that stuff) for the Docter sight. Just talk to your "trusty Custom 'Smithy", and you will be delighted you did. Although I have seen Beven's work and it is hard to beat, for sure. Another place you may want to consider is SVI/Infinity. They have been doing this for years starting wth the Optima and now with the Docter. Something that SVI/Infinity does that beats everyone is that they incorporate the slightly wider size/shape of the Optima and Docter sight when the "program" goes into the CNC milling station, and out it comes as a slide whose rear portion is just as wide below the mounting area and matches the width of the sight. It makes for a perfect mated area. I have had a few slides machined that way for me for my "projects" and everything looks like it belongs there. They only ad just around $145.00 to the cost of the slide, and the slide is cut exactly to lo-mount match the sight with registration pins and tapped mounting holes to match perfectly.

The Open gun I posted in a different thread about the C-More mount shows that specific machining, but I just made and installed a racker "base" that fits and mounts in the same place for the times I decide to use the C-More.

One item of "concerned notice" is that everybody, including Dean Makkos, recommends that the Docter sight be "bulletproofed" by Grams if you are going to install it on the slide. They have been known to fail. ( I have two presently awaiting repair.) Of course should you choose to have them "frame mounted" you will not have to "bulletproof" them. Yes, you will give up the slide mount super-low mount advantage, but frame mounting the Docter will still yield a much lower dot than the C-More. Ad to that the fact that the Docter sight is much narrower than the C-More, which will allow you to mount it further back without interfering with ejection, and this will give you a much wider perceived window and dot, even surpassing that of the C-More. Yes indeed. New frontiers are opening up, if you choose to "explore" the newer horizons.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

I guess we'll have to wait and see. It just seems hard to fathom that a sight of such a design would cost $400, then you'd be expected to pay even more money ($100 or more?) to "bullet-proof" it, then another $200 to mount it.

While I've been very interested in trying out one of these, paying $700+ to try it will guarantee it'll never happen. At least, not until a cheap $50 Chinese knock-off comes out.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. It just seems hard to fathom that a sight of such a design would cost $400, then you'd be expected to pay even more money ($100 or more?) to "bullet-proof" it, then another $200 to mount it.

While I've been very interested in trying out one of these, paying $700+ to try it will guarantee it'll never happen. At least, not until a cheap $50 Chinese knock-off comes out.

Mark,

I am with you, $700 is a stretch for a damn sight, no matter how innovative it is. I think i am going to stick with a OKO and a SVI carbon fiber mount.

The last price Beven quoted [when the wholesale went up by 50 bucks] was $425 for the 7MOA super-bright & bullet-proofed sight. Not $500, but not cheap either.

Beven has all the work he'll ever need, probably won't get upset if you have another gunsmith install his sight for [likely] less than the 200 he charges.

If you look at the machine work photos, you'll see 200 is not charging by the hour.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...post&id=499

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...post&id=501

Edited by eric nielsen

I personally feel that the $200 Beven charges for the sight mount is worth every penny, it is just the turn around time that is a killer, it is one thing to wait a few months for a complete gun but just a sight mount is another thing.

Beven's work looks awesome and is probably worth every penny. Just the cumulative total of the cost of sight, then the bulletproofing needed on top of it, and mounting seems cost prohibitive to me.

But I guess not laying out $600-700+ for a Docter is one of the benefits of shooting Limited, which is what I'm mainly doing right now.

Just hard to believe what some things cost these days.

Can't argue.

Most custom smiths are looking at $129 plus their labor [about 1 hour] to install a C-More Serendipity so the price break from skipping the C-more is small/nothing depending on the gunsmith. Doesn't pay for a Docter, you have to really want one.

An Aimpoint with mount & labor is from $450 to $600, that's the other way to get a low dot. Again, the smiths will not price break much at all from their C-More package price.