Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Master Blaster Bullets

Rocket35

The manufacture recommends Ramshot Competition for their 180 gr bullets. But I can't find it locally and don't want to pay what I save on bullets to mail order powder. <_< Can those that use these bullets recommend a suitable powder substitute? :huh:

I have used Ramshot, Titegroup, N320, WST, and Universal Clays (Not Straight Clays). The Titegroup had the most smoke. WST felt good and is easily found (one of my favorites for general purpose .45 ACP loads). However, I was getting large velocity spreads from WST. Of the ones listed, I stuck with N320. Ramshot is roughly comparable to N320, but I don't have a local source for it.

At one time, I was on the quest for the 'softest' shooting load. Now, I don't really care what they are as long as it is reliable, accurate, and makes major.

Any of these around you

Moe Hardware Hank & Sporting Goods Powders reseller

33 Main

Black River Falls, WI 54615

715-284-4621

Rusk Gun Shop, Inc. Powders reseller

6904 Watts Road

Madison, WI 53719

608-274-8740

Scheels (Appleton Scheels) Powders reseller

Fox River Mall

Appleton, WI 54913

920-830-2977

Scheels (Eau Claire) Powders reseller

4800 Golf Road

Eau Claire, WI 54701

715-833-1886

Shull's Service Powders reseller

6903 N. City Rd. Y

Milton, WI 53563

608-868-7699

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just beginning to explore the wonderful world of 40 cal and Limited after spending years in L10 with 45ACP.

I live pretty close to Tom (Stidham) and have talked with him over the years about powder selection and the Poly bullets. I know Tom doesn't recommend TG with his bullets and suggests using Ramshot Competition instead...however I've seen a couple local shooters shooting Competiton powder and it looked like a black powder rifle going off....I figured that TG couldn't be any worse (and after hearing the praises around here for it, I thought I'd buy a pound and experiment).

I started with a load of 4.5gr of TG, with a MB 180 loaded to 1.18" and tested it over my CED chrono (using an STI Edge with a 5" barrel); I was making about 174PF with it (initial testing was at an indoor range, the loads were later chronoed outside). I dialed the load down to 4.4gr and tried again. Below is the data for it.

4.4gr TiteGroup, 180MB, 1.180" OAL

High: 965.8

Low: 927.8

E.S.: 38.0

Ave.: 948.6

S.D.: 10.0

PF: 170.1 (based on a weight of 180gr. MBs can run light).

One of my buddies is also loading the MB 180 bullet but using N320. We did some "smoke tests" shooting loads into the sun (worst possible scenerio for smoke) and also used a 200gr Montana Gold bullet over Universal Clays as a comparison. The N320 load and TG with the MB 180 smoked about the same...the N320 load was a little softer shooting. The MG 200 with Universal Clays was considerably more smoky and had more recoil (this was a fellow shooters load....after she shot both of the 180 loads, she decided to switch her load to a MG 180. She said that her load still didn't feel as soft as the N320/TG/MB combination but was much better than the MG 200).

I'm entirely happy with the TG/MB combination. The recoil feels great and the amount of smoke seems on par with anything else I've seen.

Thanks for the in depth post, I am swtiching to TG late this year. I am running out of 320 and the local gunstore has some but at 26 dollars a pound. I will also switch to precisionbullets.

I would like to throw another powder into the mix, Alliant American Select.

Alliant American Select (12) is slower than TiteGroup (10) & Faster than Clays (14) according to the Ramshot Burn Rate Chart, VV N320 is 15 & Ramshot Competition is 16. Hodgdon on the other hand lists Clays as 5, TiteGroup 8, American Select 9, VV N320 14 & WST 15.

In a 45 I get less smoke than with TiteGroup or Clays & it is just as soft. An added feature is that it is fluffier than any of the above powders & while it is possible to put a double charge in a 45 it is near the case mouth. A 4.3 charge of WST equated to a 3.6 charge of American Select. An 8# can is $95 the same as Clays.

I'mcurrently running 4.6 of N320 under a Xtreme 155gr .40 bullet.It's a really nice combo,very low smoke, very controllable, but my arms are always dirty with ejecta after a heavy session. I have yet to chrono the load, but hope to this week. I do like the extreme's, but I would like to try Precisions aswell.