Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jhp Or Fmj

newshooter

I am new to reloading and shooting at match's. I was looking around I see a lot of people shooting with a FMJ and also a lot of JHP I was wondering is there a better one or what is the reason for them using the JHP. I was just curious in this and just wanted to know why they shot JHP

Thanks Joey

I am new to reloading and shooting at match's. I was looking around I see a lot of people shooting with a FMJ and also a lot of JHP I was wondering is there a better one or what is the reason for them using the JHP. I was just curious in this and just wanted to know why they shot JHP

Thanks Joey

For just shooting at the range, the FMJ's are just fine. If you plan to carry your pistol for SD purposes, then you may want to test a few rounds of the hollow point to insure it feeds properly. If you are going to reload and shoot a fair amount, then you need to investigate the 200 gr. lead semi wad cutter (LSWC) bullet. Much cheaper and very accurate in most 1911's.

Thanks for the reply but I was at a uspsa weekly "local" match and I went to watch the first match and starting shooting on my second one. I went out and bought 2k of rainier 230grn bullets cause they are cheap for a coating bullet and one of the guys at the range which is indoor said they didn't like lead because of the smoke. So I went to watch my first match and I noticed a lot of them were shooting JHP so I was curious in why they spend the extra dollars for the JHP. I figures there must have been an advantage to this. Or some good reason for loading JHP for a shooting compet.

Thank you for reply to my question. as you can see I am new to this sport and trying to get all the knowledge on it.

Joey

When bullet prices were a little lower, FMJ and JHP prices were about the same. Another possibility is that for accuracy the JHPS are more accurate due to the weigh distribution. JHPS are also easier for Compensated guns since the bullets have an enclosed base and dont deposit lead into the comp the way FMJ (open lead base usually) does.

If you are just starting out and can shoot more outside I would recommend using lead bullets, as they are usually cheaper and you will get more practice for your money!

Good luck,

DougC

Thanks for replying I want to say that I saw most of the JHP in open guns I was just curious in why they used them. well thanks for letting me know

JOEY

Those JHP's may have very well been 185 gr, vs the 230 FMJ. The reasoning would be a softer recoil. Perhaps that's why they were popular for competition.

FMJ ALL THE WAY!!!WHY BECAUSE JHP CAN GO NOSE DIVE AND JAM ON THE FEED RAMP..

IT SUCKS WHEN YOU ARE ALL READY TO GO ON A STAGE AND THE GUN FU%? UP ON YOU.

SO SINCE JHP GAVE ME A PROBLEM, NEVER GOT IT AGAIN. JUST BEEN USING FMJ ROUND NOSE BULLETS. MAKES SENSE BECAUSE NO SHARP EDGES TO HIT THE FEED RAMP RIGHT?

MY MONTRA......FIX IT ONCE AND NEVER LOOK BACK... I WOULD RATHER HAVE A RELIABLE GUN ALL THE TIME THAN USING A FMJ BULLET THAT IS A LITTLE ACCURATE.

BUT WHEN YOUR GUN JAMS ALL THE THE TIME? I DONT CARE HOW MUCH YOU PAID FOR IT, BUT YOU JUST WANT TO THROW IT AWAY SOMETIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT TO MECTION

IT TOOK 95 SECOND ON THE STAGE AND COMMING IN LAST ON THE MATCH..

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PICK RELIABILITY ALL THE TIME THAN ANY OTHER!!!!

The reason a lot of shooters prefer the JHP is that the base of the bullet is covered by the jacket and therefore you don't get nearly as much smoke as you would by the jacketless lead bullet burning. This applies to both open shooters as well as limited etc.

MVZ

• 4 weeks later...

I used to shoot plated bullets, but switched to jacketed due to noticeable accuracy improvement in my gun. Using fast powder like Clays, FMJs can have some smoke and even leave a little lead in the gun to clean up, especially in revolver. I wanted to use the FMJ round nose profile for best feeding in the bottom feeder and the revolver and found these: Hornady HAP. They are an accurate jacketed round nose with an enclosed base. They're a little pricey unless you catch them on sale or find some folks you can bulk order with.

Thanks for replying I want to say that I saw most of the JHP in open guns I was just curious in why they used them. well thanks for letting me know

Joey, most of us run a JHP in an Open gun for two reason - first, a regular FMJ has an exposed lead base, as AustinMike says. Some of that lead vaporizes as the powder burns behind it, and gets deposited in the compensator. Eventually, it can build up enough to contact the bullet, and it tends to reduce the effectiveness of the comp as it fills. Second, most testing reveals that the JHP bullet tends to be slightly more accurate, generally because of how they're built. We're talking a matter of degrees, there, though, and not huge earth shaking differences, so....

FMJ ALL THE WAY!!!WHY BECAUSE JHP CAN GO NOSE DIVE AND JAM ON THE FEED RAMP..

You don't have to yell, man! :)

Any bullet profile can nosedive on the feed ramp, guaranteed. An FMJ can tend to be slightly easier to feed, but this is usually correctable by changing the OAL of the round. For instance, in my Open gun, if I load any round out past 1.250 and fully load a mag, I get a nosedive jam on the 2nd round in the mag. FMJ, JHP, etc.

Nothing is absolute. What's important is that you use what works in your gun. You can make JHPs work just fine, if the gun is well built. But, in a Limited gun, FMJs are basically just as good, so....

Another option to consider would be a moly coated bullet. A little more smoke, and they may lead your gun, depending on your barrel. In my .40, they do just fine. In AustinMike's .45, he got some heinous leading in the first two inches of barrel. But, they're $20/K cheaper, typically, so.... I use the Precision Bullet 185 in my .40 and like it a lot....