Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Powder Funnel Sticking In .40 Cases

This is a frequently occuring problem with my .40 toolhead. No similar problems with my other 9-10 toolheads.

This does not occur with every piece of brass, but enough to really get the tendonitis flared up in my elbow after 4-500 rounds. It sticks so bad in some cases that I really have to push on the handle to break it loose. (sometimes I have to actually use two hands)

I have resorted to coating the bell area of the funnel with a light coat of case lube. This helps for maybe 50 rounds or so. I have also tried lightly polishing the funnel with a dremel.

I am currently loading good quality "once fired" brass from Brassman.com. This problem is even worse with new virgin Starline brass. Regardless, all the brass is very clean and in good shape.

I have made numerous funnel adjustments to where the case has no bell to where the bell looks like a bucket. Cases still stick no matter where it is set.

Short of buying a replacement funnel or going to factory ammo, I am out of ideas.

I had one stick really bad once, Dillon said that cases that are new or once fired are more likely to do it.

I'd give Dillon a call and see what they recommend.

Using a U-die? That will exacerbate the problem.

Sounds like your funnel needs a little polishing. Break out the dremel with a polishing wheel and some polishing compound of some sort. polish that sucker up to a mirror type shine. That stopped any hint of sticking for me. Now the only problem is that to avoid shaving bullets, I have to bell the case more than I'd prefer, cause the U-die has the case small enough that the bullet doesn't want to sit upright on the case otherwise.... :wacko:

I am currently using a U die, but these problems predate that. same problems with my Dillon resizer.

The brass in question is from brand new virgin brass to 1X fired to shot until it split brass.

I took out my pwder funnel and polished it real well on the buffer.

Note polished not regorund like a buddy of mine did.

This eliminated about 90% of my issue. The final 10% is taken care of by me wiping my fingers on the funnel (coated in spray on case lube from filling the case bin) when I topp off primers. Light coat. Light enough you wonder whether it would be any use.

Steven

Ps.

I am using the U die and new/once fired brass