Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sdb Problems

Over the past 1000 rounds, I had about 5 primers go in sideways. At the end of my last loading session I replaced the blue tip on the primer magazine thinking that could be the problem. Today I loaded up 200 rounds and quit because I had 9 sideways! (Actually one of those was completely upside down.) I did a search and came up with this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...258&hl=sideways

I just started having another problem during today's 200 rounds. 3 or 4 times on the upstroke, just before the handle gets back to neutral, either the shell plate, the ram, or the primer slide snaps and powder goes everywhere from the round that just came out of station 2.

I've gleaned a couple of tips from that thread I found. I plan to tear the whole machine down tonight and clean everything. I think the plastic guides in the 4 corners of the ram may be worn. I've got a spare parts kit with new ones inside.

Is there anything specific I should be checking for while I'm in there? How do I know if the stops that limit the fore and aft travel of the primer slide are set right? Does anyone have specs on that or a way to check it?

I've never taken the whole machine apart before. I bought it used and bought a new small primer slide and .40 cal conversion kit so all of those parts are new. I've put 3700 rounds through it since I got it and made the conversion.

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

splashdown

When I had my SDB every 5000 rounds I would start to have primer problems. I found that if I changed the "red thingy" (it should be a "blue thingy" for small primers) on the bottom of the primer magazine tube (part #14003 large, #14024 small) even if the part didn't look bad and all of my primer problems went away for another 5000-rounds.

Good Luck,

Ed

I've had the same problem, and found out the primer tray (if that's what it's called, it's that thing underneath the primer tube that slides in and out) wasn't running smooth. It caused the timing of the tray to be off and the cup would hit the shellplate instead of fitting in. Primers would flip, and powder all over the place. I oiled the tray a bit on both sides, which solved the problem.

I had the same problem. Ditto on removing the crud from the primer "slide" and keeping it lightly oiled (don't oil anywhere near the areas that contact the primer!)

Also, you can adjust the travel of the primer slide. Mine moved just a little too far after the primer dropped from the tube, causing it to flip. I adjusted it so the slide would be just in the right place when the primer dropped.

Edited by spook

I had the same issue and corrected the problem as Spook detailed it. At the same time, the mis-timed primer drop would damage the red tip and cause a "free flow" of primers.

Fun stuff. :rolleyes:

Edited by Irishlad

I had that same problem with my SDB before I went with the 650.The index arm (white plastic thing with spring loaded steel tip)that indexes the shellplate had become worn and would make the shellplate jump hence spilling powder and causing primers to flip in the primer seating mechanism.Called Dillon and explained what the press was doing they sent me the parts free.That fixed it.Hope this helps.I would still call Dillon and see what the tech has to say. 1 800 223 4570.Good Luck,Ken

Thanks for the tips guys. One more question. Is there any adjustment necessary on the cam bolt? That's the one in the back of the machine that actuates the pawl that indexes the shell plate. At first the pawl on mine was catching on something before engaging the shell plate. I backed out that cam bolt a little and the problem went away. I'm not sure I understand why. I'm just curious if there is a proper setting for it. Anyway, back to rebuilding m SDB. The ram is tight now that I installed the new plactic guide rails. I hope it loosens up a little soon.

Edited by splashdown