Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Long Should It Take?

B12

OK got another question about 3 months ago I took a slide to a local smith to have a front dove tail and some front serrations milled. At about the one month point I called and he said he was starting on it that weekend. About a month later I called and he wasn't in the shop, I left a message and I haven't heard anything since. I understand about back log and all that but shouldn't I be kept informed?

Edited by B12

OK got another question about 3 months ago I took a slide to a local smith to have a front dove tail and some front serrations milled. At about the one month point I called and he said he was starting on it that weekend. About a month later I called and he wasn't in the shop, I left a message and I haven't heard anything since. I understand about back log and all that but shouldn't I be kept informed?

You should be informed. What was his quoted turnaround time when you dropped it off? If I were you I'd take it back and give it to someone else. It shouldn't take 3+ months to mill unless he is just absolutely backlogged or in demand.

You should be informed. What was his quoted turnaround time when you dropped it off? If I were you I'd take it back and give it to someone else. It shouldn't take 3+ months to mill unless he is just absolutely backlogged or in demand.

lol thing is he never gave a turn around. I think I am going to take it back.

Get your stuff back. For what you wanted done, the weekend he said he was starting on it was more than enough.

Any number of 'smiths come to mind for the work that you're looking for but check the BE.com Vendor area first.

Rich

The Action Works in Arizona did some Colt front cocking serrations for me, had it back in less than a week.

Benny Hill converted my Colt factory sights to Bomar and Fiber optic front, had it back 5 days after I shipped it.

Gunsmiths that have been working longer than 5 years or so are terribly slow, the relatively new guys don't have enough work load that they cant get something out quick. If you trust the guy and like his work have patience, if you dont you shouldve took it someplace else to start with.