Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Confidence Check On My Loads

raschnack

Ok all, I spent the better part of two months reading and researching, and the last two weeks working up my first loads. I feel confident with them but do have a few questions to make sure Im on the right track and I get to keep all of my 10 digits on the hands. Going to post here in the 45 acp section as well as in the 40 S&W section since I developed/copied/read these loads for both calibers.

Ok my first question is it normal for the same brand brass (Im using winchester) to have a different OAL's? Im talking once fired brass, cleaned, tumbled and even right after the sizing die some will be right on spec some will be .001 to .004 shorter or longer? When I made my first dummy rounds I thought I was doing something wrong until I measured the brass first. Is this normal and acceptable ranges in loading? I noticed my WWB has some of the same variances so wasnt super concerned but wanted to double check.

Ok My load creations 3 sets of 10 rounds each for testing at the range.

Springfield XD 45 ACP 4"

Winchester Brass, Winchester Large Primer, Bullet 230 Precision RNF

OAL 1.260 (I have some variances based on my second paragraph above)

Crimp .470 (Measure taken right at the very edge of the brass before the bullet starts)

Powder Clays 3.6

I kept the same OAL and Crimp and moved my powder to

3.8 and then 4.0

so 10 rounds of each powder weight for testing. Was going to start low Chrono and check pressure before moving onto the next set.

Basically can anyone answer my question about the brass OAL and then any feedback on my loads.

How do those loads look?

Edited by raschnack

Ok one tool simply CASE GUAGE. check your rounds after you have them loaded if they dont fit just recover the components and chuck the case and primer. The variences on the brass are pretty normal. I guess you can get them exactly the same but get ready to say goodbye to ALOT of brass.

Your clays load looks good. I really dont like clays so I stay away from it. Mucho Dirty in my gun.

Also I load 25 or so for testing. The crono rounds are just that. I NEVER can get good groups while I shoot through a crono. so I shoot crono rounds and then shoot for group.

Hope this helps

Ok one tool simply CASE GUAGE. check your rounds after you have them loaded if they dont fit just recover the components and chuck the case and primer. The variences on the brass are pretty normal. I guess you can get them exactly the same but get ready to say goodbye to ALOT of brass.

Your clays load looks good. I really dont like clays so I stay away from it. Mucho Dirty in my gun.

Also I load 25 or so for testing. The crono rounds are just that. I NEVER can get good groups while I shoot through a crono. so I shoot crono rounds and then shoot for group.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I have case gages and everything fit fine. I was going to shoot through the chrono purely for FPS and PF, but your right if I like the stats from one I really need to shoot some for groupage as well.

I have some Clays data, but I'm using a 230 Rainier plated RN at 1.263 OAL out of a 5" Kimber.

3.6 Clays = 669 FPS = 154 PF

3.7 Clays = 704 FPS = 162 PF

3.8 Clays = 713 FPS = 164 PF

3.9 Clays = 728 FPS = 167 PF

The above loads were tested when the temps were in the 40s.

3.95 Clays = 740 FPS = 170 PF (tested in 75 degree conditions)

This is the load my wife uses in L-10.

Your loads look plenty safe to me, with 4.0 being "close, but not quite" major out of a 4" barrel.

The variation in brass is nothing unusual.

thanks guys.. It will be interesting to see how it shoots.. going to do that on Friday, took the day off! Well after I run down to buy some more poweder that is.. dropped my bottle and spilled 99% across the floor. :( almost a full bottle of clays. So after I grab some more.. another magazine or so :) and whatever else that gunshop has that strikes my fancy it will be interesting to see how my chrono compares.

Id like to stick with 4.0 clays.. so if im short on the major ill probably drop the OAL down a bit at a time to see the changes that gets me.

Thanks everyone. Im excited about my first rolled ammo :)

Edited by raschnack

The load looks fine. I settled on 3.8gr Clays @ 1.240 because of the flat point. That gave me 169 from a Schuemann AET & 1 ragged hole @ 15yd for 20 shots through the chrono. I did get a fair amount of smoke though so I have since switched to 4.45 gr of American Select @ 170.

Went great today. 85 degrees cloudy no wind setup my chrono about 8 feet away from the bench on a video camera stand, first shot broke the straw I was using for the height up from the eyes of the chrono and it looked good.

45 ACP 4" Barrel 3.6 clays at 1.260 OAL and a .470 crimp using 230 Precision RNF

1st shot 685.5

2nd shot 686.2

3rd shot 699.7

4th shot 689.6

Im thinking good stuff nice and tight no much fps range.

5th shot right through the eyes of the chrony. Most expensive 4 rounds I ever shot :)

Well I went ahead and shot the rest of my batches both for the 40 and 45 no pressure issues at all. I suppose Ill have to get another Chrony once I can work myself up to spend the money again.

Edited by raschnack

45 ACP 4" Barrel 3.6 clays at 1.260 OAL and a .420 crimp using 230 Precision RNF
I'm guessing it's a typo...but you meant .470 crimp, right? :)

Oops yes.. i was loading 40 S&W and 45 ACP. but .470 crimp lol for the 45 acp.

I'm on my third chronograph. :blink:

Well I was stupid I should have researched more on the chrono, I didnt buy a pact, now that I see the pact keep the epxensive part back on your bench and eyes and ears out there I will be more apt to go at it again. Only thing I was getting ready to buy but I couldnt find the spot to buy more of the plastic pieces. I figured id better get a couple of extras right off the get to !!!

Edited by raschnack