Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Batf Prowling

cking

I listed a gun a few weeks ago and I got an email from somebody in another state wanted to buy the gun, but was going to have his brother buy it for him in my state. Didn't think much of it because it was already sold.

So watch out, I read in American handgunner about BATF doing stings on dealers buy having the female purchase the gun for the male. Then calling it a straw purchase.

From my understanding, it's not an illegal sale unless the person the purchaser is buying for is ineligible to buy the gun. However, it is illegal to lie on the Form 4473.

Of course, try convincing your average FFL dealer of the above and they'll look at you like you're from another planet.

DISCLAIMER: Not legal advice. Get a lawyer licensed to practice in your state for the real deal.

One of the questions on the 4473 is, "Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form?" If you check, "No," the dealer can't sell it to you. If you check, "Yes" when you aren't the real buyer, you just committed a separate offense.

You're guilty of two separate and independent offenses if you 1) make a false statement on the 4473, and 2) deliver a gun to someone who isn't supposed to have one. That person would be guilty of illegally possessing a gun.

The Feds DO prosecute people for this.

Not legal advice.

I had people asking me to perform illegal transfers *all the time* when I was selling off guns on GunsAmerica to finance my lower education. I finally started putting "Do not even ASK me to perform an illegal transfer!" at the bottom of the ad, which pretty much put an end to it.

Edited by EricW

How's the dealer supposed to know the girl isn't the actual buyer unless she puts no?

The Dealer can't know unless she voices it but "They" have to blame someone besides the person who is actually breaking the law.

It is illegal for a resident of one state to privately transfer or sell a gun to a resident of another state. This is interstate commerce and must go through a dealer in the recipient's state. The buyer may not have been unqualified, but it was an attempt to circumvent the legal procedure for selling a gun out of state.

I know a guy caught up in such a sting.

They first sent in a couple who looked at the gun. The guy said, "that one", and the girl bought it.

Then another couple came in, the guy said, "I want that one", and the girl bought it.

Then two guys came in, they looked at guns, went outside (but within view of the dealer) guy #1 gave him cash, and guy#2 bought the gun.

Then two other guys came in, guy#1 handed a stack of bills to guy#2 and guy#2 bought the gun.

Each time the FFL didn't even question what was going on or verbally ask them if it was a straw purchase.

IIRC FFL got probation and a 25k fine in the plea bargain. He was LE too so he lost his job as well.