Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Broken Screws

rtr

Three of the screws that hold the scope mount to my open gun have had the heads snap off. I tried to cut a slot in one with a dremel to remove it, but I couldn't get the cutting wheel small enough to cut only the screw. I'd really like this gun to be running in a week from now for our state championship. Any ideas on how I can get it out as I can't find a gunsmith to repair it close to me. Thanks.

If the scope mount screws are in with loctite, I really would try to get it to a smith. Someone with the right tools will have no real problem. Someone with only a dremel and assorted hand tools will have a devil of a time IF the screws are loctited in. I know all my scope mount screws are!

Grind a reverse tip on the drill that you decide to use. Center drill the broken screw then run the drill down into it at a couple hundred rpm in reverse. That should build up enough heat to release the loctite and back the broken screw out for you.

First I have to say I'm a hack at this stuff and usually get myself into trouble so the best advice is to get it to a gunsmith and not listen to me. But I had an idea I thought I'd share.

Can you get the other screws off and then slide the mount off the stripped screws (now studs in other words). You may have to drill off the rest of the head. If you can, then you should be able to get a grip on the screws sticking out of the frame? Even be able to heat them up to loosen the locktite.

Good luck!

John

If there's one left, drill the head off. then heat withe a propane torch to "kill" the loctite. Use a bull-nose pliers to turn them out.

If they're busted off flush, then find a welder who does delicate stuff. Not the guy who welds trailer hitches on Mack trucks. He'll weld his filler rod to the screw stub, then use the rod as a wrench to turn the screw out. Cut the filler rod, repeat.

If you want to use the Dremel, you need a different bit to cut a slot into a broken screw.

I had a similar problem with the Breechface screw of my Infinity that separated in the middle of a medium course... :wacko:

I recovered the breechface from the ground and brought it home, wanting to get rid of the half-screw stuck in it (I loc-tited it long time ago to prevent it getting loose).

Much to my displeasure, I was not able to get it out in any way: then I resorted to a Dremel bit similar to those used by dentists on their drills: a needle with a small cutting ball on top; I used it to cut a couple of dents in the borders of the hollow screw, and the easily used a screwdriver to turn it out.

Many thanks to forum members Steve Pitt and Lizard Waltzer. Steve successfully removed the screws by drilling a hole into the screw with his milling machine and then backing it out using an ez out. Scope mount has been successfully remounted. Lesson learned CHECK YOUR SCOPE MOUNT SCREWS.

Glad it worked out for you. Looks like you got it back together in time for Saturday's match. AND you shot a GREAT match. Congrats!!!

Couldn't have done it without you.

This is definitely a case where without the right tools its probably impossible, or nearly impossible to accomplish without lots of frustration and probably ruining the frame.