Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome Xd?

Z-man

I've got a Springfield XD tactical that has been getting a lot of wear on the slide since I've upped my dry fire. Often times I have a nice pile of the factory finish that's worn off during a practice session. I was wondering if anyone has hard chromed an XD or similar gun? I know alot of people have their open/limited guns done, but I was wondering what are people's thoughts on a production polymer type gun? Is it necessary/worth it?

Chuck, I thought that I had read recently somewhere that chrome was fine for USPSA production? I thought there was something about it in the recent Front Sight, but I'll have to check it out. Besides, I can't imagine that the only refinishing option I'd have is the exact same as offered by the SA factory?

Edited by Z-man

Thanks for the advice. I've settled on Tripp for hard chrome... I just have to wait till the end of the shooting season since I can't give up my gun till then!! (too poor for a back up <_< )

Kepa,

If John Amidon rules on something, you better listen. Based on the link the previous poster gave you, a chromed XD won't be Production legal.

Mental note to myself: If Kepa chromes his XD, then I won't have to compete with him anymore because his only gun will be illegal. ...need to convince him to chrome his XD.

Kepa, A chromed XD would look great!! Let me know when you get it done. :D

Darren

Quote from John Amidon:

http://www.uspsa.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=125

Question--My slide is getting scratched up and I would like

to have a new finish put on. If I had the tenifer finish removed and the

slide hard chromed, would my G35 still be Production legal?

Answer--Here is how the language of the US Production division reads in

the new rules.

20.5 External modifications other than sights not allowed

Based on this, you would be able to reblue your slide, but not change it

to chrome, it would have to be as originally offered by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the advice. I've settled on Tripp for hard chrome... I just have to wait till the end of the shooting season since I can't give up my gun till then!! (too poor for a back up <_< )

Darren, check out J2Fast's response above. He's got the link for the most recent ruling which allows for chroming in production. I also think it is in the most recent issue of Front Sight. Nice try though, I plan to keep everything legal! :D

Doa! Must have missed that post. Cool. Dang, so much for getting you kicked out! :D

Darren

Darren, check out J2Fast's response above. He's got the link for the most recent ruling which allows for chroming in production. I also think it is in the most recent issue of Front Sight. Nice try though, I plan to keep everything legal! :D

Yeah that's what I heard. I'm also using the DOH. I also heard he was talking to Amidon about your Custom Shop trigger job being illegal. You better ask him about this.

Talk to you later,

Darren

PS: Congrats on getting first in Prod at the Pro-AM. ...you're dang lucky my front sight fell off. :)

Don't worry, Rick told me just the other day that my Blade-Tech DOH is soon to be banned! Just my luck. <_<

Yea, I heard about the trigger job stuff too (gosh, DOES everything I own have to be made illegal AFTER I spend money on it?!) but Rick looked at it and said it was legal. I had mine done by Canyon Creek.

Don't worry, Rick told me just the other day that my Blade-Tech DOH is soon to be banned! Just my luck. <_<

Since you and ExtremeShot are kidding each other, i have to ask, is the comment about the DOH serious? Are they going to be banned?

I was told, from our local match director (who I trust, as he was previously the Area 3 director) that starting next year the DOH attachment itself would be banned. From what I gathered this is because the new Single Stack division has banned them and it would only make sense that Production division (being the more restrictive, i.e. "stock") would follow suite. With the DOH the gun sits lower than is allowed apparently. While my source is credible, I'd check around. Hopefully others will be able to substantiate this claim. I'll post in the USPSA rules section on the topic, check there for further discussion!

Rick told me that he was talking with Amidon about it at the Single Stack. Also, while I was shooting at the Single Stack, Blade Tech had a booth there. I went up and asked them about the rumor and they confirmed that it was being discussed.

Darren

I was told, from our local match director (who I trust, as he was previously the Area 3 director) that starting next year the DOH attachment itself would be banned. From what I gathered this is because the new Single Stack division has banned them and it would only make sense that Production division (being the more restrictive, i.e. "stock") would follow suite. With the DOH the gun sits lower than is allowed apparently. While my source is credible, I'd check around. Hopefully others will be able to substantiate this claim. I'll post in the USPSA rules section on the topic, check there for further discussion!

I helped a friend of mine, powdercoat a XD a while back. It turned out pretty good and it seems to be holding up from holster wear.

Did you polish it after the powder coat?

Looks great I would like to do mine in a simlar fashion.

Heres mine with half the stock finish stripped and polished

post-5716-1148480509_thumb.jpg

Did you polish it after the powder coat?

We used a felt polishing wheel to remove all of the bluing on the slide. Taped off everyting to do the red and then taped the red and put on clear powder coat.

I just got my XD9 Tactical back from Canyon Creek. Sight install, slide refinish, trigger job. Sweet work. I upgraded to what Rich calls the "Fusion" finish. Basically, he refinishes the slide in black, polishes the raised part of the frame sides, and then clearcoats the whole thing. He has pictures on his site. Looks awesome!

Check out the XD Talk forum for type-specific info.