Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You Folks Had Me Worried About A 650

Obviously most threads in this forum are "I've got a problem" threads. However, during my search for 650 info before and after I ordered it, I was starting to get worried if the thing would work at all (especially after I ordered it ;) ).

Set it up this evening in a couple of hours at most. Everything fell into place smooth as glass, with the press showing no apparent problems during die setup. Eventually I was ready to load except I hadn't tested the primer feed. No problems there either. Casefeeder wasn't an issue either.

I loaded 100 rounds in 10 very easy and smooth minutes and couldn't believe how effortless it was compared to my SDBs. This was using a "U" die and a FCD.

Brian hooked me up with this press fast, and e-mailed me the tracking info when he said he would.

Needless to say, I am happy! :D

I'm thinking the same thing that I thought when I first started shooting USPSA: "Why in the hell did I wait so LONG!" :(:angry:

I really got the thing to help save my arthritic joints. Using the "U" die and FCD were separate steps on a Pro1000 when I was using my SDBs.

Basically 10,000 rounds took 30,000 handle pulls. Much HARDER handle pulls compared to the 650.

The added speed is just gravy.

I am a little scared to change it over to .45 auto though.

Maybe this weekend I'll try the change and just pay close attention to what I'm doing. I'm very curious how big of a pain the FCD die will be with cast .45 loads. Definitely a killer on my elbow on the Pro1000.

I have a pair of Pro1000's in the closet (soon to be for sale) and the 650 is much easier to operate as far as effort, arm movement and so on. Of course this is all relevant to mounting setup and so on.

I did my first conversion setup just last week. (38 super to 38 spl) and it went very easy.

The bigest issue is probably the primers if you are going small to large. I went from Win SR to Fed SP so I did have to pull the primer setup and empty it for the change over.

I even went with using a couple of the Lee dies to save a couple bucks on the conversion.

Now that the tool head is ready to go and I've done the steps all future changeovers will be a snap for sure.

I loaded 1000 38 Super rounds in 63 minutes on my 650 about 4 weeks ago. Great press.

Dave,

The "63" triggered a 1050 memory... I once loaded 1000 rounds of 40 S&W on my 1050 in 36 minutes.

No wait... After seeing the "36" so big, I realized it was actually 33 minutes.

:o:o:o

JFD, congrats on your new press.

1 word of advice - replace as many of the plastic parts as possible every 20k rounds. This will prevent many headaches. Also, buy a spare parts kit and some extra decapping pins.

I love my 650, but not as much as my Super 1050 :D

Spare parts kit was ordered with the press. Learned that with the SDBs.

Plastic parts replacement every 20K rounds has been noted. Thanks.

The only issue I've had was with some upside-down brass. I think I put in a little too much brass in the feeder. I don't drink coffee and my wife doesn't allow me in gorcery stores, so I have no accurate idea how big a 1 Lb coffee can is. I guessed close, so I'll reduce the amount tonight.

My basic rule of "if it doesn't feel right, then stop" seems to be a good idea with this press.

I loaded 200 rounds last night in 15 minutes without trying for speed. I'm really glad I have 10+ primer tubes in both large and small and a vibra-prime.