Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S_i Extended Mag Catch

Skywalker

Hi all,

I am looking for an extended mag catch for my SVI Competition, that will let me drop the mag without shifting my grip, but that won't protrude a lot, being the pivoting point of the gun when laid flat on a hard surface.

I'm specifically aimed at an extended mag catch (somewhere in the ballpark of 0.1" longer), not an oversized button or catch.

What are the currently available options on the market?

TIA!

Just one guys opinion, but I would try checkering the button first.

I used to shoot a button, a paddle, extended, every "trick" gadget you can name.

Finally I just went back to checkered and practiced and I am faster than before. I also have the added advantage of never dropping mags unintentionally or on table starts.

FWIW.

Skywalker,

Check with SV and see if theirs is in production. I have a prototype and, although I have no problems with a standard release, their extended release is so comfortable and well designed that it is a pleasure to use. The button is low profile and shaped so that it does not interfere with your grip. It is checkered so that engagement is positive. It's certainly worth a look.

Leo

I too have tried lots of options w/o success. I cut out the section of the grip where my thumb reaches for the button and that has worked well for me. I have to loosen my grip some to reach it but don't have to release or change my grip.

Thanks so far guys! :)

I need to extend the lenght of the mag catch because I've tried to adapt to the standard size (removing the Ed Brown oversize button I currently use), but I have to consciously shift my grip a bit too much to be comfortable with it.

80% of the time I'm able to drop the mag, but some times I fail to fully depress the button, and still have a mag inserted while trying to load a fresh one ... :wacko:

I'm afraid thinning the grip in that area won't be an option. I had a grip that I thinned a bit too much under the trigger guard, and when I was gripping the gun real hard (i.e. when going for the mag catch) the grip squeezed, and my mags were no longer drop-free, thus I'd like to leave the grip rigidity intact.

Leo,

I've checked with SVI on-line catalog, but it looks like they only manufacture a standard catch and the drilled and tapped version of it.

Splashdown,

I'm right-handed, and I don't think I would adapt well to a lefty catch, not to mention the time it would take me to re-learn the whole procedure.

Right now I'm thinking I could try and find a 4-40 screw with a large enough head to fit into the normal catch.

Could this be an option?

Right now I'm thinking I could try and find a 4-40 screw with a large enough head to fit into the normal catch.

Could this be an option?

Not sure but that gave me another idea. I have a Dawson "Lo-pro" button that is pretty small and thin. You could turn down the outer diameter of the button to the same outer diameter of the catch and get your length and checkering that way w/o the size. Not sure how much longer it would be but I don't remember it being much. I'd measure it for you but I'm not at home. Just an idea.

John

I believe that STI releases are already extended to some extent. You might want to look at the buttons at www.gansguns/BUTTONS.html. They vary in height from .050 to .100. Actually, you can grind down the length of the STI release some and add a thin button and end up with an overall length not much longer than when started. You could turndown or grind down the diameter of the .400 button if you don't want the bigger size and end up with just the extra length.