Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does The 650 Have A Problem

I load on 3 SDBs right now and am looking to eliminate running brass and loaded rounds through 2 separate steps just to use the "U" die (.40 only) and FCD.

Since I don't believe a progressive press is actually progressive without auto-indexing, I figured the 650 is the press to get.

Then......I notice how many folks here insist the powder check is one of the plusses of the 650....saving them from doublecharges and squibs.

I've been loading for 35 years with all kinds of presses and have never had a powder measure not drop powder. Never have I had one drop powder twice in the same case. I don't really want to take a step backwards with a press that has an unreliable powder system.

Please help me out. I want to place an order with Brian tonight and my plan right now is to get a reliable 550 with a casefeeder even though I can easily see how to doublecharge or squib a round in THAT press. I pay attention to what I'm doing so I'm not worried about it too much. I REALLY want a 650, but not if it's powder system is unreliable.

I'll be loading .40 and .45 with this press, probably keeping one of my SDBs for rarely used .38 Super & .38/.357. The .45 loading will dwindle when I get my wife shooting Limited (right now she's happy in L-10). I consider a caliber/primer change to be a non-issue on a SDB if that gives you a clue.

Brian and Flex make me think it's an operator error situation. What do you think?

The powder mechanism is identical between the 550, 650 & 1050, and IMO, nothing wrong with it. You can get conversions for SDB powder measures, which are also identical except for the mounting hardware.

Elsewhere Brian posted something about powder checks just the other day, so I'm in the 'don't need it' camp.

It seems that the only ways (other than being out of powder ) to get a squib is short stroke the 650 when dealing with a case feed issue or some other problem or have the measure stick in the dump position. I use a 650 with the powder measure "retrograde" discussed elsewhere which has the old style return springs on the measure. The fail-safe rod should also tug the measure back to the fill position. I am not sure how you could double charge if the indexer is working. If it did not index, you would be able to tell because you would be trying to place a bullet on top of the bullet you just placed :blink: .

I just always look into the case before placing the bullet. This is real easy to do since everything else happens automagically. In short, I don't use the powder check. In fact, since my open loads are pretty full, I have moved the powder measure from station 2 to station 3 so there is less chance for powder to "dance" out as the shellplate indexes.

I think would be a whole lot easier to double tap a load on a press that does not auto-index! I started with a 550 and upgraded to a 650 from BE and love it. Since then, they came out with the 550 casefeeder but looking back I really like having the auto-index and you will too since you are used to it from your SDB. I am currently using one of the powder measures that I used on the 550!

The 550 case feeder is cool but it still gives you 3 things to do: bullet, lever, index. The 650 is built for us 2 handers: bullet, lever, repeat....

Skip the 650 and get a 1050 and never look back. The 650 can't drop a double charge, it is the same one you have been using in the SD, so it takes an operator to make a mistake to double, which is easier (by far) using the 550.

That's basically what I was thinking. Either that, or Dillon somehow dropped the ball with the 650. It was nice to hear Brian got the powder checks for free and never installed them. If I had thought of the fact Brian IS the Dillon Master, I'd have placed an order already.

While I'm sure the 1050 is the best, I can't justify spending that much. I'm already pretty happy with the SDBs, so if the 650 is an improvement over that, then I'll be good to go.

Thanks for the responses. Time to place an order.

Edited by JFD

Hopefully I have everything covered. I've already got dies, so I ordered:

21071 XL 650 Caliber conv. 45 ACP/GAP

22059 650 Deluxe Quick Change kit

21146 650 Spare Pts kit

21080 Casefeed Assembly - Pistol Large

17950 Roller Handle - Aluminum - 550/650

16975 Dillon XL 650 in 40 S&W

Having it delivered to work so I'll know the second it arrives.

I can't wait!

I've got a Pro 1000 that I currently run e-bay once-fired brass through ("U" die), and then run loaded rounds through (FCD). On the occasions when the case feeder works, I can see how cool a REAL casefeeder on a 650 will be.

I'm already looking a little more closely at that bullet feed ad in Front Sight, but I think I can deal with just pulling the handle and adding a bullet ;)

Now I have to decide what to do with these 3 SDBs. I'll keep the newest one for when I ever load .38 Super or .38/.357 again. I guess I should keep my .40 & .45 SDB conversions just in case the 650 was to break at a bad time. Or I could use the Pro 1000 as a fallback plan :lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol: OK, maybe not (I've never loaded ammo on this press).

Strangly enough, my wife actually supports this purchase. Of course she's now (recently) addicted to USPSA, so shooting has a high priority now. Anything that helps the guy supplying all the guns, ammo, rigs, and assorted gear is now "a good idea".

Jerry,

Everything was in stock when I placed the order Monday. I'll send you the tracking info tomorrow so you'll know when it's coming.

Thanks for not only from me, but for ordering through my online store as well!

be

There was never a question where I would order the equipment.

I've spent hours here gathering info (who else provides the info that you do?) from both you and the posters who are so willing to help while making my decision. I'd be a lowlife to buy the equipment anywhere else.

My current "problem" is that I really don't want to sell my SDBs. I will because I have no use at all for 2 of them now (or at least soon), and it will be rare to use the one I'll keep. I guess I'll get them up on the classifieds soon. I'd rather sell them here than on e-bay.

The tracking info will be most appreciated. Personally I'm hoping for a quick delivery so I don't go too nuts. My shipping department has been notified to give this delivery special treatment. They even have the UPS guy on the lookout. They have the drill down pat with all the "Shooters Connection" packages that stream in.

My UPS guy will be pissed..... ;)

Looks like a Monday delivery. Breaks my heart I can't play with it this weekend, but 7 days from the order to my door certainly isn't bad.

I've taken pics of my SDBs, so now I just need to box them up and list them for sale.

Thanks for the updates.