Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Sxt 127 Gr. 9mm +p+ ( # Ra9ta )

TBF

Winchester Ranger is intended (and marketed) for sale to the Law Enforcement market. They try pretty hard to keep those products in that channel and out of the commercial (read civilian) market. Having said all that, check out "Police Supply" or "Public Safety" stores in your area and related websites.

ETA: Biggest reason it is not available to the commercial market is that Ranger is an FET out product. No Federal Excise Tax is paid by Olin on goods sold to the LE market.

Hold off on the Black Helio theorys... :ph34r:

Edited by Middle Man

it made major in my 5.1 inch trubore...and in my glock but was minor in another shooters pistol which is almost identical to mine..

the ultramax ammo LE catalog had the best price ive seen...like 137.00 for 500 rounds and no shipping to your agency.

Chuck,

Do you think the back pressure from the suppressor and the aggressive fluting in the MP5 had a lot to do with it? I know in talking to some suppressor folks they state that pressure buildup can become a problem.

I have shot some of this in my open gun and from looking at the brass and primers, it looks no worse than my normal load.

Take care, Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the suppressor. The can maintains the pressure in the barrel a bit longer. I don't know that a comp wouldn't do something similar. I know that we don't have any problem with the 147 gr winchesters out of the same gun at over 150 Pf. Just a suggestion to get some to test before ordering them by the case.

Back in the last decade, I had an H&K 94, semi-auto mp5. I locked it up using Hornady 147 xtp factory ammo. The brass formed to the fluted chamber and had to be beaten out of the gun. I would be wary of shooting any +p or +p+ ammo in any gun with a fluted chamber.

Huston in Austin

• 4 weeks later...
Be careful with this stuff. We were running it out of an MP5-SD. The round was high enough pressure that the case flowed into the chamber flutes.... I know that we don't have any problem with the 147 gr winchesters out of the same gun at over 150 Pf.

A word of caution: you might check with H&K about what ammo they do and don't recommend in the MP5-SD. Everyone I've ever talked to that owns an SD has told me that they are not intended to be shot with anything over 124 gr. Something to do with the locking piece that is specific to the SD. You are probably getting similar results by shooting +P+ ammo in that gun. Remember, that gun was designed to fire standard pressure 115 & 124 gr. bullets and slow them to below the speed of sound.

Ask around at subguns.com or similar places.

Just out of curiosity, was the ported SD barrel able to keep the +P+ ammo subsonic?

Edited by Garrett