Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheyenne Shootout/wyoming State Championship

With all the discussion about "bubblegum" I thought I would take the time to explain what this match is all about.

What will make this match different is my approach to stage designs. I will be putting in a huge amount of effort into stage designs and injecting a little more reality. It is not a "tactical" match, whatever that is. Easier to explain is what it won't be...bubblegum. I won't be using spinning targets or Texas Stars or memory stages. I will have very elaborate but sensible stages with real themes.

Response has been great! 11 states and Canada represented already with 5 GM's and 6 M's. There are still slots available and its the weekend before the Handgunner in Colorado. Cheyenne is located just north of Denver off two interstates and has its own airport.

Hope to see everyone there!

• 1 month later...

While attending a major match this weekend, there was a rumor going round with the out-of-town shooters that the match was full.

We still have slots left.

Stages are just about complete and will be posted for those that are curious or who chew bubble-gum. :)

gunny:

According to the confirmation letter I received form Ara:

Sunday 12:00PM -- Lunch, tear down with awards following.

I'll be tearing down, but I'll stop long enough to get my trophy for Wyoming State Champion in Open Division. :)

Gunny,

Like Ron said, if the match is full, we will be done by 12 on Sunday after shooting four stages that day. Wherever you are driving from, it will be worth it, I promise you. I'm really excited about the stages.

So far we have 7 GM's and 11 M's, 11 states, 1 Canada and even dignataries such as Dave Thomas, Bruce Gary, Dave Sevigney and many others. Pretty darn good for an innaugeral match.

Bayoupirate,

I got you covered but no jambalaya for lunch.

Ron,

Look out for Jack Patton, an attorney with an open gun from the big city of Cheyenne.

And for those that don't know, Ron Avery/Practical Shooting Academy, Inc. will be hosting a one-day peak performance seminar on Thurs, July 6, for a fee of only $125 with all proceeds going back to the match for prize money.

I have extended the standard rate deadline to June 15, which is what it was supposed to be anyway.

Stages and shooter list will be posted soon.

Ara

Match Director

I got the e-mail today with the stages. Looking them over, I had a flashback to the 1998 Wyoming State match. There was this stage Ara built where we started on the steps of a gigantic front-end loader. Where he got it, I don't know, but it was a pretty nice "prop". The COF was laid out through a construction site complete with dirt piles, highway barricades, and caution lights. I was totally amazed that anyone would go to so much trouble and detail to make a stage seem so real.

There is more of Ara's realism apparent in this year's stages. I see we start inside an actual police car, enter a real camping trailer, shoot from inside sandbagged foxholes, and a stage coach. So, when I see "shooter must jump into foxhole and throw grenade through port A prior to opening fire", I'm thinking, OK.....it's probably an inert grenade........

Add almost 20 M/GM level shooters to the mix and you're going to have one hell of a memorable match. People will be talking about this one for a long, long time.

Any concerns/cautions/traps about flying into or out of Denver airport with our toys?

Thought I recalled reading or hearing somewhere that Denver had some CA-flavored laws re. high-caps...

Denver has some restrictions regarding "assault weapons" but its not a real problem. As always, carry any match documentation with you and put the guns and gear out of view should you get stopped for speeding in wide open spaces of 75 MPH. Co is also a "shall issue" state for permits. An hour and a half north, "Wyoming is what America was" where you can even carry a gun in the open, in addition to being a "shall issue" state with merely a hunter's safety card.

Hey Ara,

The stages look great.

Save a slot for me, I'm negotiating on the home front. But will hopefully get my app in the mail to you today/tomorrow.

Of course, there's the little problem of being a bit rusty.

Good stuff,

Ken

Ron: Jack's looking pretty good with that dot! It will be a Shootout for sure.

Hey Stuart,

I must admit it is good to get back for a couple of matches. The Cheyenne match will probably be my only major match of the year but better than nothing. I can relate to the negotiations...it's not about 'us' anymore...

Hope to see you at a match soon.

Take care,

Ken

Ken...

good to see you out playing again..

don't think I am going to make it up..my loss..should be a lot of fun..but I am losing on my home negotiations.. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the support. As of today we have 111 shooters from 16 states and 3 from Canada.

We can handle more if anyone is still interested. Shooting starts Sat morning and ends around noon on Sunday.

Squad list is available at ecouspsa.com.

Right after I-25 crosses over I-80, take the W.Lincolnway exit. Take Lincolnway (right turn) west toward the Little America and US 30. Immediately after LA, (Maybe 100 yards or so) take a hard left on Otto Road. It's a goofy intersection that cuts back acorss US 30. This all happens within about a 1/4 mile of the exit where you came off I-25. Then, you'll be heading down Otto Road toward the enormous Dyno-Nobel explosives plant. Do not loiter in front of this place! :lol: The range is 6 miles past Dyno on your right. It is huge! About 12 bays and a big pavillion right on the highway. Can't miss it. See you there! -Sam

Edited by Sam