Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Shoot Matches In The Rain?

Yes - but I've really started to hate it.

If I were traveling and taking time off from my business, I might be a no-show at the next match that has a high percentage chance of rain.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember asking my boss for permission to take off work a couple years ago because a big December storm was blowing in and I just knew the ducks would be working. I was standing alone in the dark, chest deep in ice cold water waiting for first light when the rain started pouring down. The wind was whipping it straight into my face and I remember looking over at my dog at one point and thinking that it takes a special kind of idiot to think something like this is fun. Same thing applies to shooting matches in the rain and, as I have proven on so many occasions, I are that special idiot. Just jump into it and have fun.

As long as there is not thunder/lightning we shoot!! Then I go home and complain about shooting in the rain, how I will never do it again, etc, etc...until the next time I shoot in the rain and the cycle continues.

I said this last year:

We don’t often have rain on the Llano Estacado (this year seems to be the exception, with three matches canceled) but the actual rain would not normally keep us from having a match. We don’t shoot because of the lightning threat, the high winds and the mud. Our range is mostly caliche with a little alluvial gravel thrown in. Wet caliche is slicker than snot on a glass door knob. Running is out of the question and walking is a real challenge.

If I have driven 500 miles to shoot and the local hosts are keeping the match going I will be there to the end. Didn’t like it much but did it twice last year.

This year (2006) has seen record drought conditions but we have already had a rain out day. :(

David C

Just a few days after I posted the above, I was at the Space City Challenge...

shooting in the rain. :rolleyes:

David C