Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa And Idpa Mag Question

Frank79

I know that IDPA only allows 4 mags total 1 in the gun, two on the belt, and one in a pocket. The mags can only be loaded with 10 rounds. Is this correct? What are the USPSA rules? I believe I will be shooting production class when I start sometime in June.

no limit on the number of mags you carry in USPSA production..I end up carrying about 4 on the belt.

you mags can hold only 10..unless it is your mag in the gun..it can hold 11 before the LAMR command..so that when you reholster to begin..it is 10 in the mag and 1 in the chamber..

I know that IDPA only allows 4 mags total 1 in the gun, two on the belt, and one in a pocket. The mags can only be loaded with 10 rounds. Is this correct? What are the USPSA rules? I believe I will be shooting production class when I start sometime in June.

IDPA - one in the gun, two on the belt, no limit to the number in your pockets, but you won't need them. Stages are limited to 18 rounds.

I've also read I need 5 mags for USPSA. Can I get away with just using only 4? How often would I swap mags in a normal run? From videos I've seen of USPSA production runs only 3 mags are used.

You can get away with four if you're careful. The largest stage you'll encounter is 32 rounds. How often will you swap mags? Every 10 rounds, or whenever you change shooting positions. In other words whenever you move from one aray to the next. That usually means leaving a couple of rounds in the dropped mag, but changing magazines on the move is much faster and preferred over always running the mag dry and doing flat footed reloads.

I have shot USPSA stages that were longer than 32... Lessee, one at Detroit Sportsman's Congress was four arrays of four targets with movement between each, so that is 32 plus a fifth array of either two or three targets, so it was 36 or 38 rounds. Shooting it in L10 and changing mags on the move between arrays meant a fifth mag was needed. Four on the belt was necessary and that left no mag for covering a malf, which meant my stripper mag in my pocket was my backup mag, which I loaded full too. It seems to me that I have shot other stages at either DSC or at Livingston Gun Club and needed all four belt mags too...

Yeah, four mags on the belt are needed for USPSA Production, Limited 10, and Single Stack. In fact, if you are shooting Single Stack Major, you might look into a single to give you a fifth mag on your belt - it would give some flexibility in where to do your reloads.

Billski

Those extra mags always come in handy, especially if you don't hit the targets like you wish and a couple extra rounds are used to drop a plate here and there. My second match I ended up with targets still standing and out of ammo and two loaded mags in my range bag. That makes the failure to engage penalty hurt even more. Now it is four on the belt and two in the pocket.

--- snip --- The largest stage you'll encounter is 32 rounds. ---snip---
This may not be true for a club match. From the rule book:

"US1.1.5.1

Level I matches are not required to comply strictly with the

freestyle requirements or round count limitations."

It's not very often but it happens. (Like last Sunday at SWPL!)

Later,

Chuck

PS: Oh yeah, beware the Texas Star!