Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reminton "open" Shotgun

RH45

Does anybody else make/install a comp in the center of the barrell, like JP used to?

I wanted one of my barrels done, and contacted JP yesterday, but, they said they no longer do it because they idin't have enough call for it.

Another option would be to just port the barrel and then do the "tricks" like skeet/trap guys do. Lengthen the forcing cone and even back bore it a little too. Briley should be able to do all of this. There WILL have to be some playing with the gas ports to get it running happy again.

Another good 'smith to ask too is Shawn Carlock. I don't know his info, but have seen and shot a lot of his stuff and he comes highly recommended by a lot of shooters.

Briley built my 1100 and it runs like a champ. I'm picking up a Benelli and having Beven work his magic when I get home.

Good luck!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

When you port do not port just at the end of the barrel. Shotgun ammo is relatively low pressure (yes even full house slug loads) and will not do much if your porting is at the last six inches of barrel length. If you want effective porting make sure there is at least 5-6 inches of sealed barrel after the last porting holes. If you are shooting a gas gun make sure that you leave enough room after the gas ports and before the porting starts as well.

Good luck.

I currently am running a 26" barrel on my 1187 that Mag na port did thier porting job on when the 1187s first came out. Shawn Carlock did some gas work, and did something with the intercepter.

Last year, a freind of mine taped me shooting a stage at the DPMS tri-gun challange and I saw that my muzzle was climbing up, and to the right. He has a JP "open" shotgun with the brake in the middle, and is ported on the right side only. Last week, we finally got together and I fired both guns with the same load while he was taping me and when I shot his gun, there was some upward movement, but, no side movement.

I have a 28" barrel that I bought with the idea of shooting tactical, but, since, I have picked up a Competitionmaster for tactical so I wanted to have JP modify my barrel to match my friend's, but, like I said, they no longer offer the comp in the center.

I guess I could just get the right side ported to see how that works, but, if possible, I would really like to get a center comp too.

Thanks!!!

• 2 months later...

FWIW, just got done cruising JP's website and they have revamped the shotgun page a little (new shotgun pictured, more options, etc.). Might want to try and call them again about getting their comp added to your scattergun.

Rich

A friend has an open Remy 'levenhunnert that has a Vang comp on the end of the bbl. It works kinda OK with really hot loads (about the same as bbl porting alone does), but it is pretty much useless with 2.75 and 3 dram lite loads.

I have a JP mid barrel compensator on my 11-87 and it really does work even with light loads, but it sucks off so much gas I don't even want to mention how large I had to hawg out the gas ports to get it to run, lets just say that they are over twice as large as the stock ports are!

If you were using hot loads, comps work. but most threegun is done with reduced slugs and birdshot loads. So there isn't much gas pressure to work with.

Had not thought about that, good point, yeah we don't use any light loads at work, defeats the point don't it :D Hit'em fast and hit'em hard :P