Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changes That Surprisingly Improve Focus And Performance

Since I failed to get my reloading done, I had to shoot factory ammo out of my Edge at the last match. Since I cruise barely above major PF, I noticed a difference in the gun. The difference was enough to make me focus a little harder on the sights, and consequently, I shot my second clean match in a row, with an improvement in accuracy, and at competitive speeds, sometimes faster than I estimated. I recently read KellyN's comment in another thread about TGO constantly changing his gear, possibly just to keep him focused. Got me to thinking about how small changes can force you to get out of your lull and do the right things, with positive effects. I may just bump my powder up a little, or shoot a little factory from time to time. Any thoughts on this?

Man...I hate to do this to ya, but...

...look it up. It's in Brian's book. And, a search ought to turn up quite a few mentions here on the forum. You'll get much better answers from diggin it up than you will from me pounding on the keyboard.

Thanks Flex, somehow I knew this was coming when I asked.

"When trying something new, your focus becomes very clear and directed."

Brian Enos, Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals

I also thought something I read early in the book applies here too:

"The only shot that matters is the one you're firing right now."

Brian Enos, Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals

Edited by fomeister

Changing your gear....that must be why Barry and I trade guns back and forth like it's our job.... You know I picked up the short dust cover gat from him yesterday..

That is so like day before yesterdays news. Maybe it will be your "Trick of the Day" like the last time you changed guns. I too recently picked up another one, but probably won't shoot it for a few more months.

I have noticed behavior in myself and others i have dubbed " someone else's gun"

In short someone else's gun, loads, recoil spring or front sight will usally feel and look better than your own :)

Maybe the same thing is happening here.

James

Repetition, while necessary for consistent performance - is the enemy of sensitivity.

So the non-TOD (or Task of Life) becomes maintaining a heightened sense of sight, touch, and sound while practicing 'till the cows come home, every day.

I was visualizing shooting clay targets the other day (I have no idea why) and this thought came through - See every target like you've never seen it before.

How would we benefit if we shot pistol stages with that mindset? You've trained long and carefully - you have the movements down rock solid. You know what you need to see to make every shot. Now forget all that and shoot each string, each stage, with a fury of sensitivity - like you've never done it before.

"... Yea, when I'm in the sky I'm too far away - kick in to feel it. ... I got a holy gun that come'a loaded, to kill everything that I am."

I Am Legend - Rob Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend I pulled another Trick of the Day, I shot my new gun which is basically very similar to my other gun, but a lot lighter weight. Third clean match in a row, and speed wasn't too shabby either. I really think that I will change either guns or ammo more frequently than before, the focus is amazing. The changes are subtle, a few power factor one week, a lighter gun the next, but they seem to be helping to keep my sensitivity, awareness, and vision.

Edited by fomeister