Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did I Do It Right?

bierman

Shooting 99-57 (Bookouts Boogie) at a local club match last weekend. First time I have ever shot this one so my plan was shoot the poppers from Box A and the paper from Box B. I take the front popper first then the back ones left to right. I call a hit on the last popper, hear the hit and I am off to Box B, making my reload as I move (I shoot Production). Get to Box A and make my shots there. Ok run for me, I am thinking and then I look up and realize the last popper is still standing. I was floored. Should I wait and make sure the last popper falls before moving? I knew I hit the last popper, everyone else on the stage said I hit it as well. Fortunately, the RO gave me the popper as he determined it had not been set properly before we started shooting.

I was curious if I did the right thing. I remember reading in Brian's book that you should call the shot on steel and not wait for the sound of the hit and that is what I did (I think).

The R.O. should have had the popper calibrated and ruled accordingly. If the popper did not fall during calibration then it's a reshoot and if it did fall it's a mike. There's nowhere in the rules regarding "Give-me's". Especially involving a classifier.

Sometimes things are done and rules are bent at local matches in order to keep the match going, I've done it several times, but Classifiers are based nationally so we should keep the "Rule Bending" out of them.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

The R.O. should have had the popper calibrated and ruled accordingly. If the popper did not fall during calibration then it's a reshoot and if it did fall it's a mike. There's nowhere in the rules regarding "Give-me's". Especially involving a classifier.

Sometimes things are done and rules are bent at local matches in order to keep the match going, I've done it several times, but Classifiers are based nationally so we should keep the "Rule Bending" out of them.

:) thanks for the clarification..

I called it at about 1:00 of the center (the round part that is, I don't really know what it is called). I don't know where it actually did hit. I really want to say it hit where I called it, but I can't say for certain. I am at the level right now where I am seeing my front sight quite clearly when the shot breaks, but I still have a way to go as far as seeing other things as well.

I will say that that the set screw on the popper was WAY off when the RO checked it. I was prepared for the mike to be called and would have accepted it and moved on. I just wanted to see if I did the right things as far as not waiting for the steel to fall.

I don't believe that it is the R.O.'s call on the popper calibration. It is the shooters responsibility to decide whether to challenge the calibration. Appendix C1, 6 a-b-c

If the shooter does not call for a calibration check, it's scored as a miss. C1, 6b.

In this case with a new shooter, if I were the R.O. as soon as I said "Range is clear"

and before any scoring I would have explained the shooters options, and proceeded based on the shooters decision.

The R.O. should have asked the shooter if he would like the popper calibrated and ruled accordingly. If the popper did not fall during calibration then it's a reshoot and if it did fall it's a mike. There's nowhere in the rules regarding "Give-me's". Especially involving a classifier.

I don't believe that it is the R.O.'s call on the popper calibration. It is the shooters responsibility to decide whether to challenge the calibration. Appendix C1, 6 a-b-c

If the shooter does not call for a calibration check, it's scored as a miss. C1, 6b.

In this case with a new shooter, if I were the R.O. as soon as I said "Range is clear"

and before any scoring I would have explained the shooters options, and proceeded based on the shooters decision.

There, All fixed.

Shooting-wise...yes, you did well. Call the shot and move on.

I absolutely agree. All I was pointing out is leaving on steel has some risks. On this classifier I shoot the steel first. In a long course, I much prefer to exit a position on paper if at all possible. I guess I kind of drifted the thread.

what are you guys doing for calibration shots at local matches. most local matches do not have chronos available, so what do you use to take a calibration shot? if there isnt a chrono available, doesnt this become an automatic reshoot for a REF?