Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sdm Thumb Latch

Round_Gun_Shooter

I still like the factory style thumb latch because I shoot both IDPA and USPSA and don't want to change.

I recently did some work for a friend and he asked me to fit a new thumb latch. He supplied the SDM he got from Brownell's. To say the least I am impressed.

My hands take a beating every day so anything that bites into them for a better non slip surface is a good thing. The checkering on these is real sharp and makes my thumb stick to it. I just got mine in the mail and put it on my 25-2. Will be test driving it tomorrow and Sunday.

Here is the pic from the SDM site:

newstyle.jpg

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I like this "new style" over the original version of the stock part. You can also get S&W versions from Brownell's "factory parts" catalog. I have replaced all of my "old" style versions with the new style. While the SDM versions are nice they also cost more.

Neal in AZ

I welded a small tab on the side of the factory release to make mine a bit more effective.... I have seen ones with the tabs welded on top but because I rest my weak hand thumb over the top of the safety it wasn't suitable, so I made my own.

I am taking some photos today and tomorrow of all my firearms for the website site so I will try to remember to post a pic of it here, very simple but works very well.

I've also been real impressed with SDM thumb latch (new style), have it on 3 of my revolvers, plan on fitting the rest of my revolvers with it. The checkering really grabs the thumb.

Yep, Love mine too. Have an SDM on both guns now. B)

Ya'll are going to RUIN the Revolver division !!!!!!!!

With all this fancy stuff you are putting on and in them. Turning the simplest division into an equipment race! <_<<_<

Sgdm thumblactch, Titainium Cylinders, Fiber Optic front sights, skeleton hammers..............

What next? A chain drive for the cylinder and a cyclic rate of 500 rounds a minute!!!!! :P

Hopalong

Going back to limited because of the EQUIPMENT race in Revolvers !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I put the SDM on my new Thunder Ranch Model 22. The one that came on in was beating me up pretty bad and it had sharp corners top and bottom. Feels great now and still looks like a simple revolver. :P

Sgdm thumblactch, Titainium Cylinders, Fiber Optic front sights, skeleton hammers..............
You forgot the Jerry grips. I saw more danged Jerry grips in Thibodaoux than anything else.

You forgot the Jerry grips. I saw more danged Jerry grips in Thibodaoux than anything else.

We all knew that Jerry would be there. Got to make him feel good so he'll come back.

scooterJ,

I know you want some more of that wheel gun action............

Mississippi Classic in May!!!! there will be more wheelgunners there than at last years USPSA Nationals!!! ;)

I'll even let you look at my LAMINATED Jerry Grips! :P

See you there!

HOPALONG

Ya'll are going to RUIN the Revolver division !!!!!!!! With all this fancy stuff you are putting on and in them. Turning the simplest division into an equipment race! Sgdm thumblactch, Titainium Cylinders, Fiber Optic front sights, skeleton hammers..........

Just remember there, Mr. Clean, skeletonizing the hammer is low-tech old-school stuff, and totally free if you're handy with a dremel. Here's one gunsmith Bob Day did clear back in the '70s:

skeleton.jpg

Oh Dr. Dremmell.......

You can't fool me!!!

That is one of your "Procedures" that you have tactfully attempted to make look like a 50 year old article in some gun rag!

We may be a bunch of HILLJACKS down here but we wern't born yesterday! :lol::lol:

BTW, nice down here this morning. 58 degrees and I'm headed out in 10 minutes to capture me a stringer full of nice fat Bass Fish........what is your weather like up there? ;)

Hopalong the Bass Slayer!!! :P

I was trying to come up with a way to fit a thumb rest into the hole left by the lock. Something's tearing up my thumb and I haven't been able to figure out exactly what I'm hitting either during reloads or recoil.