Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sprinco In A 35?

Jack Suber

I have a friend of who shoots a 35 in Limited. She is rather small and is shooting around a 169 PF. The recoil is really rocking her. Julie Goloski suggested that she get a tungsten guiderod to try to tame the recoil. I was about to order one for her and thought about a Sprinco (I use them in my STIs). Has anyone tried them in their 35? Curious as to how well they work in Glocks. I love the ones in my STIs. Any recommendations on a tungsten rod (I think heavier would be better). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Custom Glock Racing is where I ordered all her stuff from.

Good people, good service.

I wanted to add, too, that I experimented with several powders and several bullet weights to find a load that she likes, makes major, and that she shoots well. I feel like that is a big part of it.

Mike

I have a friend of who shoots a 35 in Limited. She is rather small and is shooting around a 169 PF. The recoil is really rocking her. Julie Goloski suggested that she get a tungsten guiderod to try to tame the recoil. I was about to order one for her and thought about a Sprinco (I use them in my STIs). Has anyone tried them in their 35? Curious as to how well they work in Glocks. I love the ones in my STIs. Any recommendations on a tungsten rod (I think heavier would be better). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Been using a sprinco in my 35/34/22 & 17 for awhile. I have a couple of different springs for different loads, practice vs match loads. Some people love the feel, others hate it...

I had tungsten for a long time, but once I tried the Sprinco, I never looked back. Call them and talk to Alan, he'll advise you about the postive and negative of the system in a Glock.

I've lost a lot of strength on my stronghand side and the "softer" recoil of the Sprinco lets me shoot a lot more. A couple of hundred rounds through my revolvers and I have to take a couple of days off from shooting. But let me shoot with one of my Glocks or 1911's with a Sprinco and I don't suffer later in the day. My wife shoots mostly Production/Single Stack with a 9mm and she noticed the difference with the Sprinco, and she weights all of 112lbs...

michaels

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jack! I have tried a few different rods in my own G35 and the tungsten works as well as the SS but even better in addition to a heavy magwell. Tell Sandra to try the tungsten with her current setup for a while then maybe add a heavy magwell.

Otherwise, I hope you and John are having fun shooting together...enjoy beating him while you still can because he is on his way! It was great shooting with you guys at the FL state match. I hope to see you again next year.

Thanks, Rob. I got her the "T.H.E." rod and she will try it out this weekend. We also set her up with skateboard tape so she could control it better. We'll see how that works. I think the magwell is next. Also, we discovered that something was wrong with her trigger. It was very "crunchy" - something was draggin on it. So, that is being looked into.

John, Nemo, and Nemo's sons and I shot the SC Section together last weekend. We had a blast (except for the weather). John has really made progress and is having a great time. He beat me on points on 2 stages. I'll tell him you asked about him. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey Jack! I have tried a few different rods in my own G35 and the tungsten works as well as the SS but even better in addition to a heavy magwell. Tell Sandra to try the tungsten with her current setup for a while then maybe add a heavy magwell.

Otherwise, I hope you and John are having fun shooting together...enjoy beating him while you still can because he is on his way! It was great shooting with you guys at the FL state match. I hope to see you again next year.

The Sprinco system (like most similar) uses dual springs. The larger main spring is lighter than a stock recoil spring, the second spring that engages later in the slide stroke is stiffer and prevents the slide from reaching the frame.

It "reduces" recoil (actually it spreads the recoil energy out which only reduces peak amplitude of recoil) because at firing, the lighter spring allows the slide to "get moving" with less driving energy so the slides motion (which is absorbing recoil energy by storing it in the spring) startes to occur after less of an initial recoil drive backwards.

The down side of the weaker spring is this: at a slide positon getting close to battery, there is less spring force to close the slide. On my Beretta 92, I put a sprinco in a gun which had NEVER had a single jam in thousands of rounds and it started to hang sometimes short of battery.

On my G35, I bought it with some kind of tungsten guide rod assy (not sure the brand) and when I cycled the slide by hand it would leave the slide about 0.1" short of battery. When firing, it had feed jams and problems I didn't see with the stock spring setup.

Bottom line, I read on some internet sites that aftermarket recoil products are notorious for making Glocks jam. If they work in yours, that's good. Didn't work in mine.

Thanks, Rob. I got her the "T.H.E." rod and she will try it out this weekend. We also set her up with skateboard tape so she could control it better. We'll see how that works. I think the magwell is next. Also, we discovered that something was wrong with her trigger. It was very "crunchy" - something was draggin on it.

Check the "wings" on the trigger bar where they go by the plastic trigger housing.

Edited by bountyhunter