Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old School Ipsc

shred

Here's a couple pages from the Jan/Feb 1989 Front Sight on the 1988 Colorado Championships. I thought it was interesting since it had both a decent description of the stages and yardages, and a fellow named Ron Avery shot it. ;)

I have no idea if this was the gold-standard of matches, or just a big club match or anything in between since I wasn't actually there.

4 stages, a shootoff and a couple team side matches.

post-1846-1143561033.jpg post-1846-1143561049.jpg

Yeah, some of the old-timers tell me the actual match was often only a qualifier to the main-event; the shootoff. With several side-matches and team-shoots, the 'match' was more of a shooting festival than just one thing like we get now.

Yeah, yeah, but I don't think Gutenberg had invented the printing press yet back then. :D :D My 'Old Front Sight' collection only goes to 1988.

Carina said she may have some old(er) FS to scan, so there's hope yet..

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, some of the old-timers tell me the actual match was often only a qualifier to the main-event; the shootoff. With several side-matches and team-shoots, the 'match' was more of a shooting festival than just one thing like we get now.

88' was the golden age

"old timers" who you callin old timer?

I'm still a rookie!

Enos! please tell him bout the Cooper & the real beginners of the game

9x21

FY8825

Yeah, yeah, but I don't think Gutenberg had invented the printing press yet back then. :D :D My 'Old Front Sight' collection only goes to 1988.

I have Cooper's article on Practicle Pistol Competition published in 1974. I have it scanned in, but need to reduce the file size to be able to post.

Well, 1974 is before even my time..I did not start shooting till 1978....LOL :D

BTW Bob, I havc pictures of you and I shooting at both Jesters Range (shooting the Ambi Defense there, and at the old Sugarland Sportsmans range shooting the

Advanced Military there)....we both looked a lot younger...LOL :lol:

Edited by tightloop

Well, 1974 is before even my time..I did not start shooting till 1978....LOL :D

BTW Bob, I havc pictures of you and I shooting at both Jesters Range (shooting the Ambi Defense there, and at the old Sugarland Sportsmans range shooting the

Advanced Military there)....we both looked a lot younger...LOL :lol:

I'd love to get copies of those pictures.

Are you shooting Space City? I'll be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Sorry not shooting Space City...learned two yrs ago that I cannot run and gun with the kids anymore..and they don't have any stand and shoot stages like they did back when we were young.. I can still kick some butt on things like the El Prez and Bang & Clang, but the long field courses just suck the life out of me..Not fun...

I will try to round up the pics of all the old timers I have lying around...think I have some of John and Ollie Hadfield, all the Fisher clan, Cliff, Henry, Kenneth, Tom of course, Fred Gibson, Larry Jouett, Lyle Trompler, Duane Thompson, Richard Cone,Henry Churchill, you know the whole group...even have some of the Tx Challenge in Austin...those with Chippie, and Jeff Wasson, Dixon, Brad Butler (and his girlfriend Hubba Hubba)....Let me see if I can find them...

Wink

Sorry not shooting Space City...learned two yrs ago that I cannot run and gun with the kids anymore..and they don't have any stand and shoot stages like they did back when we were young.. I can still kick some butt on things like the El Prez and Bang & Clang, but the long field courses just suck the life out of me..Not fun...

I will try to round up the pics of all the old timers I have lying around...think I have some of John and Ollie Hadfield, all the Fisher clan, Cliff, Henry, Kenneth, Tom of course, Fred Gibson, Larry Jouett, Lyle Trompler, Duane Thompson, Richard Cone,Henry Churchill, you know the whole group...even have some of the Tx Challenge in Austin...those with Chippie, and Jeff Wasson, Dixon, Brad Butler (and his girlfriend Hubba Hubba)....Let me see if I can find them...

Wink

I can't run and gun with the kids either, but it's fun to try and every now and then I manage to put together a good stage. I'm getting close to Super Senior.

Those are some names from the past. I had forgottrn some of them and others I don't recognize. I stopped shooting when I moved to Austin around 83 or 84 and started again about two years ago. Talk about culture shock. Went to an IPSC, I mean USPSA, with my 25 year old state of the art 1911 IPSC gun, Gordon Davis leather and thankfully every 7 or eight round mag I owned, what a humbling experience.

I still have my 20+ year old T&T practice timer, the one you set with dip switches. Also have the timer with the mic out of a telephone handset that you put behind a steel target to make the timer stop. Almost forgot, the 20+ year old ampified hearing protectors from T&T.

Bob

I stopped shooting at the end of 86 and did not try again till 95... went to Greenwood with Henry Fisher...had the same stuff as you....two port comp gun, Gordon Davis leather, and the same ammo we used to shoot...when you have to reload twice before they do it once it is tough to compete in Open...I did finish 2nd on the classifier, Off Balance Blast, but got killed in the rest of the match..I still have all the timers and ear phones by T&T, but have since graduated to Pact timer and good muffs...now use muffs and plugs..

Remember Brad Henske who put on his rain suit to shoot the Superman Boogie at the 82 Nats....slid thru the Cooper tunnel without having to crawl at all...funny how you remember all that stuff...Gibson will be at the S City shoot...look him up he is shooting Open...think in A class...I still have a couple of Eddie guns and an Eddie STI Limited he built for me a couple of yrs ago when visions of sugarplumbs danced in my head and I thought I could still compete..but now I just shoot for my own amusement with a handgun and to keep my hand in...I tryto shoot all the stages the guys on this forum talk about so I have some perspective of what they are shooting,but have never graduated to the dot on an Open blaster. Good luck on the match...let me know how you do...Look up Shred and Chet and the guys from Austin...they are really great guys as are all the guys from this forum...

Later

Wink

Since I was never any good at keeping up with the kids, such as Brad Henske, Brad Butler or Chip, or Dixon and such, I simply continued to shoot for my own pleasure amusement and education. Even now, with the eyes failing, and the knees gone, I find it fun and try to make at least one match a month.

Of course, here (Idaho) gets a lot colder, so the winter months are more of a chore. I guess shooting in the cold is worse than some of the downpours I shot in in Texas and Alabama, but not by much.

There was one match at Bailey's I went to only because I was the match director. The sky was falling - as in deluge - but five other people showed up, so we shot. Most likely we were all fools for it, but that's part of the game - or was, at least.

Take care.

Guy

Yes, Guy...It was you, me, Lyle, John Hadfield and Duane Thompson...I finished 3rd standing ankle deep in the rain water....can't tell you how glad I was to get out of the darn rain and get home...nearly did not make it home the water was so deep... :D:P:lol:

Then there were some days we shot in Austin in the summer that I wished I had stayed home it was sooooo hoooot...

Look up Shred and Chet and the guys from Austin...they are really great guys as are all the guys from this forum...

I know most of the Austin USPSA shooters. Shred and I have spent many hours in the car together. Two of the best sources of information are "Google" and "Shred", and with Shred you don't have to wade through so much superfluous information.

Shot some Bay Area matches and saw Fast Eddie Jimenea, he still shoots pretty good for an old man.

I was seduced by the dark side, bought a fat old man gun. That red dot helps my old eyes a lot.

post-3253-1145483410.jpg