Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets For 625 Revolver

jazzman

Hello,

My first post so be kind :D I just purchased a S&W 625 45acp revolver. My reloading books say that you should use a bullet that has a cannelure and use a roll crimp for revolvers. Is this neccessary, or can I use any 45acp bullet that does not have a cannelure.

I am using Lee reloading dies and I have purchased the 45acp carbide set with the factory crimp die. The other question I have is about the factory crimp die, does this die taper crimp since it is for the 45acp or does it put a roll crimp if a cannelure is present. I am confused on which crimp it will do.

Thanks for all the help on this, glad I found this forum,

Jazzman

Jazzman, you don't need to worry about the cannelure or roll crimp when loading for a 625. The reason those are recommended is for high-powered magnum revolver loads that can experience the bullet moving forward under heavy recoil ("bullet pulling"). Although you might get a little bullet pull with standard pressure .45 ACP loads, it's nothing to get excited about.

Pick any bullet style you like and just use a good tight taper crimp and you'll be just fine. The Lee factory crimp die in .45 ACP will be a taper crimp die.

Feel free to join us over on the revolver sub-forum anytime.

For what it's worth (ICORE B Class shooter, barely) I use a RNFP lead bullet with a crimp groove for my 45ACP loads. Then I can roll crimp into the groove. I THINK this gives more snag-free reloads. Even with 180 grain bullets making major for USPSA, Bullet jump due to recoil has never been an issue I've encountered. I just like the smoother feed into the cylinder. :ph34r:

I have never used nor know of a 45 cal. jacketed bullet which has a crimping groove. Never had a problem with bullet setback.

Tony - Sierra's 240 grain JHC has one, and it's pretty nice. Hornady makes a 250, and Speer a 260, both also with crimp grooves. I haven't tried the last two, but the Sierra works well in .45 ACP/AR.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never used nor know of a 45 cal. jacketed bullet which has a crimping groove. Never had a problem with bullet setback.

Tony - Sierra's 240 grain JHC has one, and it's pretty nice. Hornady makes a 250, and Speer a 260, both also with crimp grooves. I haven't tried the last two, but the Sierra works well in .45 ACP/AR.

Never used a bullet heavier than 230 gr. in the 45 ACP. I guess if you want to shoot real stout loads using a 45 AR case thge crimpo might help.

My favorite bullet for the .45 was a 265 grn truncated cone that was made by a guy in Tucson. I shot them at just over 500 fps and it was hillarious. Knocked everything down but you could watch them fly. Absolutely no recoil even when I bumped them up to major.

Wish that guy didn't die.

In general, I have never had any problems with non-cannelure bullets. A problem I have encountered (and it the same for pistols as well) is brass that doesn’t have enough neck tension to firmly hold the bullet. I have had problems with amerc, and I would also imagine the bullets in CCI’s blazer would back out as well.