Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok To Just Watch At A Large Match?

1911user

Hell yes!!! Just be sure you have eye and ear protection. I watched 2-3 local matches before I took the dive. It really helped in terms of understanding how the match was run and what responsibilities I had during the match (taping, brass, set-up, tear down).

I know it is appealing to tell people that they should be made to be a spectator before their first match, but I found it very helpful.

It is most definately okay for spectators to come to any match.

In fact I think it would be encouraged.

Some of the larger ranges even have stands for seating spectators.

There is no cost of admission whatsoever.

You simply must have eye and hearing protection while on the range and stay well behind the participants.

Come on out and bring your friends.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Are spectators allowed at larger (non-club) matches?

I may have a chance to watch part of the match at double-tap ranch this weekend.

Is there a spectator entry fee?

No fee. Just come out with eye and ear protection. B)

Look for me. I'll be there. Squad 15 shooting on Saturday and Sunday.

Ask questions. Look around. I did the same thing before I actually got started competing. Got to see some great talent at the 1989 Steel Challenge that year. B)

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

Bring a camera so you can get action shots of all the BE folks :)

Ask a lot of questions if you're not sure about anything (especially about where you can walk and what you can do), just don't ask the people that look busy or about to shoot. DTC is set up pretty well, but some ranges (PASA) if you wander down the wrong path, you could find yourself on top of a berm or downrange before you know it.

Watching a match can be a little boring since it kinda looks like everybody's doing the same thing over and over, so have a backup plan to kill a few hours just in case.

Come by the supersquad and we'll introduce you to some of the best shooters in the world. I may even say hi too. :lol:

It's 50/50 at best to be there. I'm buying a glock from a buddy who now wants to buy my perfectly functional 1911 so he can practice gunsmithing on it. Then I'm supposed to bring a gun and gear to a match that I won't be shooting in and the stable network at work just crashed tonight. Maybe I'll wake up and it was just a dream......

Nope. Not a dream; oh well. Thanks for the info. :)

EDIT: The gunclub is building 2 houses to keep the little skeets warm in the winter so I'll be helping to build the forms (and maybe pouring concrete also) on Saturday. Good luck at the match.

Edited by 1911user