Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Hands And Choosing Guns

No.343

This is my first post here. For the past few years I shot one IPSC match per year. During the IHMSA off season I had the urge to compete and would strap my trusty single stack or 92 fs to my hip and shoot a little. About a year ago I got hit by a bad case of tennis elbow and could not hold up those 15" barrels, so I figured I could hold up that little single stack. Well, I sometimes say kidding around that I should have tried crack first because it would have been less addictive and cheaper. I am really loving this game. I tried 3gun a few months ago and now its worse...Anyway, I did have a question. I'm a little 5'7" guy with small hands. I love my single stack, but I decided to buy a P14-45. Part of the reason was that I wanted to shoot limited, and part of it was that I got a very good deal on the gun and four magazines with +4 base pads. The gun shoots very well, but it just doesn't feel right. It seems like out of the same holster as the single stack it always points to the right (I'm a lefty), and I missed a shot during a classifier a few weeks ago. I just had a conversation with my shooting buddy and he threw my own words back at me when he said: "If the gun doesn't feel right the first time, it will never feel right." So now I am thinking of getting rid of the P14-45, a 92FS and maybe a Taurus 145. I am thinking about replacing them with an XD tactical and the compact model. Have I completely lost my mind, or was I crazy when I bought the P14? Sorry for the long post. Javier

Welcome to the forum, Javier :)

There are a couple of other (and perhaps slightly more competitive) options than an XD if you still want to play in Limited. A lot of folks find the Caspian frames (especially if checkered) fit small hands well - there's currently some difficulty in getting good quality hi-cap .40 mags for them, but it can be done. An S_I frame can be contoured to fit your hands and is generally usable by those with small hands, as well. This is my preferred fit for a hi-cap 1911.

Depending on which generation Para frame you have, they can feel a bit square at the front corners. They don't really fit my hands all that well, either. But... if it's not checkered, yet, getting it checkered can make a world of difference in how the grip feels, size wise. So, that's something else to consider.

If you want to shoot Production, the XD is a good choice. It can play in Limited, and L-10, as well - it may not be as optimal as a 1911 style gun for those divisions, but it will surely work.

Also, consider shooting your single stack in the single stack divisions (SSD), if it's offered near you. It can also compete in L-10... Just something else to think about with your current toys :)

The new S&W M&P .40 looks interesting as an option for the individual with less than bear paw sized hands. Interchangeable backstraps. Ambidextrous controls. 15 round mags vs. 12 for the XD. Haven't seen one yet but I'm curious about it.

The M&P .40 isn't on the approved Production gun list yet but I'm guessing it'll be on before too long. Certainly it can run in Limited and L-10.

Info from the S&W site.

Welcome to the Forum, this is an excellent place to learn.

I am 5"4" and have the same small hand issue. I shoot Limited as well. Here are my thoughts:

1.The best way for you to get a gun to fit you hand is to buy an SV or STI. The plastic grip will allow you to cut it to fit you hand. Advance performance shooting does wonderful grip jobs for about $65. I usually take a dremel tool cut it down to fit me, and then ship it to APS for the final work. I did a 38 super for my 12 year old son and it really helped. Look on the classied section on USPSA.ORG in the members area and you will find the best deal on one of these pistols

2. I am right handed but use a left handed mag release, which means you are not having to do so many contortions for a reload and will really make them smoother. I Highly reccomend this approach. Talk to this guy as it it the cheapest solution, Ambidexterouse mag release j. mitchell (254)559-1551 $135 mitch@academicplanet.com.

3. I agree if you shoot production nothing fits my hand better than an XD, but I would not want to compete againist limited shooter with and XD unless it is just a starter gun.

4. If you don't want to buy an STI or SV yet,single stack is a good option and you would still learn all the skills you need for the game.

5. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire to get rid of pointing issues when you draw.

6. My oldest son shot a P16 and loved it, and his hands are not much bigger than mine, so in the end it is about waht feels right to you.

In the end if you really want to compete in USPSA in limited you will need an SV or STI, so it becomes a buy it now or buy it later decision. You buddy is right if the gun doesn't feel right then it is probably not right for you, however, you need about a 1,000 rounds suing a pistol to really get in a groove with it. When you reach a certain level of shooting USPSA competition becomes all about what you see and feel.

Being a short guy does mean you have to develop unigue gun handling skills. Feel free to email me if I can provide further feedback apilkington@adelphia.net

Albert

how about a shorter trigger and removal of the grip panels and replace it with skateboard tape? i have a p14-45 also and found the shorter trigger made a difference. removing the grip panels made more of a difference. only problem with the grip panel removal is the trigger bow channel. cost wise it might be cheaper than buying a S_I or caspian. for some people out west (Kalifornia) the STI or caspian is out of the question unless you find it used in-state.

I would try to make the Para work for you while trying to find a STI to see if it fits better. It can be MADE to fit you better. I would, if you havent already, put a short trigger in your Para along with pinning the grip safety and having it ground as high as it can go. With the Para frame you can also grind down in front of the top grip part between the frame and the trigger guard to allow your finger to lay closer to the frame as well. Between these modifications and taking the grips off and using grip tape that is the best you will do with the Para frame.

Having said all that, It was night and day for me after having two match guns built on Paras and then shooting a buddies STI.... :( Guess what I am shooting now and which two guns I sold.... :rolleyes:

You have been around the games for awhile so find what you like and practice with it. You can be competitive in L10 and SS with the single stack too.....Welcome to the fold!

DougC

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking about giving the P14 a little more time and giving up on the 92FS and trying the XD or the M&P. The extra capacity of the M&P sounds very appealing.

I already have the short trigger for the P14 and I am used to releasing the magazine with my trigger finger since I am lefty. I do this with all of my guns and I don't understand why right handed people would want to use their thumb.

However, it seems like the STI is inevitable. I hear too many people saying the same thing.

Thanks again, Javier

I am with Javier in this way of thinking though. If you could get a 3 inch version of your favorite blaster for carry, wouldn't you? The feel would be the same, the controls and triggers would be the same..

I think for a fella who is hooked on the 3 gun game, a $500 M&P or a $500 XD that will get the job done well, and more importantly will fit your hand may be the way to go. If you shoot 100 pistol rounds in most 3 gun matches, that is alot. I say get something comfortable and shoots well and spend the other $2000 that you saved on a good AR trigger, comp, bullets, etc... Oh yah, you already bought the trigger!! :)

Mike

P.S. Javier, my foot hurts from Saturday!! :) :)