Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Velocity For Bowling Pins?

Cuz

Can someone offer some advice as to what velocity I should be loading for to get a good pin load? I want a .45 load to shoot in both a 1911 and a S&W 625 revolver. Without having pins to test it on I'm guessing that loading to a particular velocity is the way to go. I'm expecting the 1911 to chrono slower than the revo since the barrel is shorter.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

In my experience you need a power factor of 195+ for reliable hits on heavy pins. (That is also what Ken Tapp told me at one of the Pin Nationals at Waterloo in the mid 90's) He didnt care what caliber, 40,45, whatever...... I usually ran 230- 235 grain bullets in the .45 and 230gr bullets in the 38 special for best results. Glad to hear people still shooting pins!

Good luck,

DougC

Pat should be along shortly I suspect.

I like to use 255 gr LSW from Bull-X and run them around 195 PF. I was always told you wanted a bullet with a wide flat end so it would help bite in to the pin.

I love shootin' pins. Just no place close does that anymore.

Good luck.

Can someone offer some advice as to what velocity I should be loading for to get a good pin load? I want a .45 load to shoot in both a 1911 and a S&W 625 revolver. Without having pins to test it on I'm guessing that loading to a particular velocity is the way to go. I'm expecting the 1911 to chrono slower than the revo since the barrel is shorter.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Years back, when I was into shooting pins, I used a S&W Mod 57 6" with great results. I was loading 210 gr lead SWC's to around 900 fps. Not sure if this is helpful info, but my 2 cents worth, non-the-less.

I like to use 255 gr LSW from Bull-X and run them around 195 PF. I was always told you wanted a bullet with a wide flat end so it would help bite in to the pin.

Tony - Bull-X went out of business quite a few years ago - you must have bought a couple of extra boxes. ;) The design is commonly available from other casters, though.

Tony - Bull-X went out of business quite a few years ago - you must have bought a couple of extra boxes. ;) The design is commonly available from other casters, though.

Yep I used to use a lot of Bull-X bullets. The guy Carter sold the company to run it into the ground. I still have a few boxes of the 185 SWC .452 bullets.

Thanks for the info everyone. Last night I tried shooting 4.5 gr WST with the 225gr lead FP bullet but I didn't like the way it felt. I'm thinking of going back to Bullseye or maybe 231 powder to get the hotter load. I hear a lot of good things about Winchester 231 and lead when loaded on the hot side.

Sorry to hear you guys aren't getting to shoot many pin matches. Up here (MA/RI) there's one going on within an hour of me almost every weekend thru the summer and fall. Sometimes towards the end of the season the pins run out and they switch to plates. I have a light load that works pretty well for plates. I think I find pins/plates even more fun than USPSA, but I won't admit that on this forum. :)

-Cuz.

Thanks for the info everyone. Last night I tried shooting 4.5 gr WST with the 225gr lead FP bullet but I didn't like the way it felt. I'm thinking of going back to Bullseye or maybe 231 powder to get the hotter load. I hear a lot of good things about Winchester 231 and lead when loaded on the hot side.

Sorry to hear you guys aren't getting to shoot many pin matches. Up here (MA/RI) there's one going on within an hour of me almost every weekend thru the summer and fall. Sometimes towards the end of the season the pins run out and they switch to plates. I have a light load that works pretty well for plates. I think I find pins/plates even more fun than USPSA, but I won't admit that on this forum. :)

-Cuz.

Do the guys at the range go by their local bowling alleys,They maybe able to get a good used pins.

Just a thought!

Jeff

Rule #1: You must have a chrono. Rule #2: 195PF is the minimum. Once you've gotten there, then flatpoints and hollowpoints are icing on the cake.

Your revo may well be faster than your 1911, which is why youneed the chrono. without it you do not knwo what you're actually getting from a load.

Rule #1: You must have a chrono. Rule #2: 195PF is the minimum. Once you've gotten there, then flatpoints and hollowpoints are icing on the cake.

Your revo may well be faster than your 1911, which is why youneed the chrono. without it you do not knwo what you're actually getting from a load.

Pat,

I know I need a chrono, but I don't have one yet. Probably because I don't have an outdoor range to use it at and I don't like having to spend the extra money for lighting to make it work indoors. My range just isn't suited for it. I figure if I follow the load books and aim for someting in the 850 - 900 fps range I will be close. Since my guns are relatively new I'm sure it will be safe. It's tough to screw up a 45 acp load if your careful.

All 3 of my loadbooks pick Winchester 231 as the most accurate powder at the 900 fps load (measured from a 5 in barrel) so I may start there. I figure 5.0 gr of 231 will be a good place to start. Then I'll see how it does on the pins and go from there.

thanks,

-Cuz.

Do the guys at the range go by their local bowling alleys,They maybe able to get a good used pins.

Just a thought!

Jeff

I'm not sure where they get them from. They have a decent supply, but they do shoot them a lot. I remember last year someone said the bowling alleys were switching over to a newer plastic pin that doesn't hold up very well to shooting. I've never seen one tho.

-Cuz.

CUz, we ran 5.9 W231 with 230LRN for over 10 yrs.......Dont remember the chrono data, but they worked well in the comp gun and took the heavy pins too!

DougC

Thanks Doug.

That sounds more reasonable. After my last post of 5.0 gr W231 I rechecked the loading manual and it says 5.8 gr of W231 to make 900 fps.

-Cuz.

• 2 weeks later...