Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Makes A Good Three Gun Rifle?

bp78

I'm still not too clear on the differences in divisions yet between Limited and Open. Shopping around for my first ar15 after shooting a 3gun match recently.

In general, what features makes a good, versitle, three gun rifle? What features should be avoided?

Thanks

For the most IPSC type flexibility, you want the following features:

- Free-Float handguard with easy ways to mount stuff (JP & PRMI are good choices here)

- muzzle brake that is at or under 1" diameter and 3" length. This is legal for all divisions.

- Flat Top (A3 type) configuration and exposed gas block with weaver rail on it instead of an integral front sight. This allows all types of sights for all divisions to be mounted in any desired configuration.

- MOA accuracy with quality ammo. Needed to hit small targets at distance reliably.

- Good aftermarket trigger (JP or McCormick are the only choices to consider here).

- ABSOLUTE 100% RELIABILITY. This comes from four areas. Good quality AR, good quality ammo, good quality magazines and good quality maintenance. You need all four to achieve the goal here.

Get your AR built up by someone who knows what they are doing. For world class IPSC AR's I recommend JP Rifles, Triangle Shooting Sports, MSTN, Clark Custom or Accuracy Speaks over just about anyone else PERIOD

Buying a box stock Bushy, Armalite, DPMS, Oly, Rock River or Fulton Armory AR is just a starting point for an IPSC competition race rifle.

George stole my answer ... word for word ........ :P

Just kidding, but dead on accurate.

Only thing I would add to all of that is a magwell from JP. I have a hard time reloading 30 round AR mags. (apparently I need MORE than 30 rounds to finish a COF!) And maybe a redi-mag or mag-cinch to go along with that.

No matter which division you choose to play in keep the weight off the gun. You have to be able to swing it and also be able to stop it very quickly. Use a good muzzle brake ( there are many threads on this ) it will pay big dividends in time savings. It still amazes me how close two hits can be from 50 yards with .20 splits. If you see really well try limited or tactical iron and get an extended sight radius front sight. If you choose to shoot with a scope there are a lot of threads on this also. When you get your new rifle spend some time with it get to know it very well and shoot the heck out of it. Enjoy! Keith

The most important thing, before anything else, is get one that works 100% of the time with the ammo you use. The next thing is get several magazines that work 100% of the time with the AR and ammo that you use.

After that you can worry about all the other stuff. More people do poorly because their rifle doesn't work then anything else.................

if you belong to a club, try to see if you can shoot someone elses for a match, maybe try a couple of different barrel lengths, like a 16 and a 20.

and

what kind of matches are you planning to shoot and what are the distances, most clubs don't shoot over 200 yards and thats only for one stage, the rest are close in, fast shooting stages, where a lightweight 16 barrel with a red dot sight really pays off.

buy an out of the box armalite, bushmaster, dpms, they all shoot well and you shouldn't have problems with reliabiltiy. I bought a 16 barrel and later, added a 20 inch heavy barrel upper, to use at matches where I know I am going to be shooting at longer ranges.

I've used and shot with several different types of comps, and on a .223 I really can't tell much difference, but you might.

You can add or change triggers later if you feel the need to do so, again if you a shooting mostly short range, quick shooting stages, you really won't feel the trigger, it will help at longer ranges however.

Just my thoughts.

+1 on what George said.

Myself, I would avoid either extreme of barrel weight. You probably don't want a truck axle or a pencil. I prefer more weight to less but I'm in a minority on this issue.

Accuracy Speaks also makes a great trigger.

I would avoid a 16 inch barrel (unless it is on a POF piston driven rifle) and get an 18 or 20 inch. True, the 16 is handier but it also bucks around far more. If you look at the rifles of those who are winning, you won't see many or even any 16s.

Have the ability to put a CW or ching sling on the handguard (one sling point at fore and aft). It's rarely needed but can be helpful if you must shoot from kneeling or sitting.

The best feature of any rifle: A GOOD ZERO!

+100 on what George and Kelly said!

After reliability of rifle and mags, the big leap for me, was cutting down weight on the rifle. I went from a 20" heavy barrel, fluted the entire length (obviously except at the gas block) and running a Redi-mag all the time and the JP Recoil Eliminator to my current setup:

74827aa8.jpg

This rifle is sweeeeeet! First, it's a million % reliable. I spared no expense on the mags (which weren't that much to begin with) and then, had a great set of builders put it together for me. The biggest gain on this rifle is that it is light! First, 18" SS barrel, "standard" contour w/ rifle gas system (just cut down a 20") and the JP Cooley Comp. It makes a difference having that little guy on there. Not as much as the Eliminator, but noticable. As with all my rifles, I run JP trigger/hammer kits and at the time of the picture, it sported a Sightron 2.5-7x32mm SG scope w/ Double Diamond reticle. The reticle was great for 100 and 200 yard 12" steel as it bracketed in the diamonds perfectfly. Too, the points worked for hold over/unders. For up close stuff, I used to mount an Aimpoint out on the handguard at 2 o'clock-ish, leaving the JP gas block base for a flashlight when shooting dark houses (like at 2004 SMM3G).

When I get home, my rifle will be the same except before I left, he got a TA01NSN and a JPoint on top. I might switch to a TA-11 though. Too, I'm probably going to build another 16" rifle for close matches or when I'm just feeling frisky and put an EOTech on it.

Like others have said. Look at the rifles that are winning and go from there.

Good luck!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Edited by uscbigdawg