Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hold Over For 100 -200 Yrds Mor Side Match

glock_forty5

Help a newby MOR shooter out!

I am shooting at a local 3 gun match next Sunday and will be borrowing a Remmy 700 PSS in .308 with a 10X Super Sniper using 175grn Black Hills ammo for the MOR side match. MOR is new to me so forgive me if this is a stupid question. The rifle is zeroed at 100yrds and I will confirm this the day before the match. My question is how much will I need to change my point of aim on the 10 steel targets ranging from 100 to 200 yrds? Should I change my zero at a 100 yds to an inch high? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I know this is not a very challenging stage compared to what the guys out west shoot, but I am looking forward to it. :D

TIA,

G45

How big are the targets?

If they're the normal 8" - 10" - 12" plates - I don't change, my rounds have so little difference POI, that I aim dead center on targets, out to 300, and only change for shoter distances (paper).

There is a decent on-line ballistic calculator at

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

Plug in the muzzle velocity, bullet weight, zero-distance, etc and it will tell you what your hold-overs are for various distances.

I shoot 175g Black Hills through a Rem PSS (actually two - I have the "regular" PSS with the 1:12 twist 26" barrel, and another one with the 1:11 5R 24" barrel). If you need a good velocity figure, let me know I can dig out mine when I get home. I have the BCs and everything else for that load as well.

Bottom line, though, as others have said.... it's not going to be a lot. I have a 200yd zero on mine, and my 168gr drop-card says I'll be 1.8" high at 100 yards. I think with a 100yard zero, I'dshould be about 3" low at 200,

Bruce

There is a decent on-line ballistic calculator at

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

Plug in the muzzle velocity, bullet weight, zero-distance, etc and it will tell you what your hold-overs are for various distances.

I shoot 175g Black Hills through a Rem PSS (actually two - I have the "regular" PSS with the 1:12 twist 26" barrel, and another one with the 1:11 5R 24" barrel). If you need a good velocity figure, let me know I can dig out mine when I get home. I have the BCs and everything else for that load as well.

Bottom line, though, as others have said.... it's not going to be a lot. I have a 200yd zero on mine, and my 168gr drop-card says I'll be 1.8" high at 100 yards. I think with a 100yard zero, I'dshould be about 3" low at 200,

Bruce

Thanks for the calculator, now only if I had time to chrono a few rounds. ;) I will be shooting the 175g Black Hills so I think the drop will be greater than the 168g at 200. I only have access to a 100yd range the day before the match. I am now thinking about setting my zero at 2" high at 100yd.

I really appreciate the replies,

G45

Almost all of our guns drop somewhere in the 2 inch range at 200 when zeroed at 100. You can hold over slightly on long shots, or throw 4 clicks on the scope and shoot center mass on everyting. As long a nothing is under 2 inches you'll have plenty of target to hit.

Head to: http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/tr...traj_basic.html

and you can figure it out fairly closely.

BC for a 175gr MK: .496 for 2800 fps or less.

I shoot Sierra 175's out of a 26" PSS at 2640 fps. At 200 yards, I need to dial in right about 1.75 MOA - which is about 3.5". That seems like a lot, but I have tallish rings. That will get you close, but there's no substitute for shooting your rifle *prior* to the match.

If you know much about mildots, 3.5 is very close the the inch value of 1 mil at 100 yards. So at 200, you could hold over 1/2 mil and let 'er rip.

Edited by EricW

• 4 weeks later...