Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm In 38spl Case

Ignatz

Do some shooters use a rounded 9mm bullet(.356) in a 38 spl case for eaiser speedloading? It seems a fmj style bullet for an auto loader would work better than the standard 158 gr hollow point. Thanks..

I know around 160gr Hornady and Sierra have FMJ bullets, but everything lighter seems to be a hollow point. I was just wondering if some people loaded a 130 gr or lighter fmj bullet in a 38 case for something like ICORE.

(many) Years ago, when I still knew how to shoot a pistol that didn't use a magazine, I used 150 grain .356 Jacketed round nose bullets with good success, They reloaded very fast. They shoot good enuf for Steel matches.

Do some shooters use a rounded 9mm bullet(.356) in a 38 spl case for eaiser speedloading? It seems a fmj style bullet for an auto loader would work better than the standard 158 gr hollow point. Thanks..

I use quite a few 9mm and 38 super sized bullets in my 627 38/357 revo's, all for steel loads

or basicly under 130 pf.

Can't say I've seen any big problems. I currently load Zero 125 JHP .356 bullet's, now I know

they're JHP's but their shape is closer to a RN and speed load fine. Zero's 125 RN works

fine also but has an exposed lead back if your worried about lead exposure.

The greatest thing on the Zero's is that they have a "cup" on the base of some of their JHP

heads and IMO this has to help.

You may/probably will run into bullet slipage, I recommend an undersize sizing die, I use a

the dillon die set with the USD in station 2 of my 650 only sizing part way down on the case.

I tried full length re-sizing with the USD but the cases looked fugly.

And if you want to have some real fun get some Remington 90 grn RN 380 ACP bullets :rolleyes:

talk about powder puff loads. Aw heck, try the 88 grn JHP's too !

I do have to stress, at least from what I've learned, that you do need to set up you reloader

carefully when using the 9mm/38 super heads, but once I have I load .3555, .356 and .357

all the same now with only a crimp die setting change.