Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Load - Icore?

haras

Anyody got a pet load for ICORE using 40S&W out of a 610? Share?

I'm currently working on a nice light 140 gr rn load utilizing Bear creek moly coated lead bullets. My current data is 4.0 gr of Hercules (now Alliant) Red Dot with the 140 RN. I seated em to 1.140" and got a velocity of 923 fps for a PF of 129. Brass used was Reminton NIckel plated, Federal Small Pistol primers and a Model 610 Classic, 6'5" barrel. As I recall, these were some pretty light loads and in my 610, they were very easy to keep under control.

I'm also working with the Berry's Hollow based Round Nosed 155's. My current testing data with those is 4.1 of tightgroup for a power factor of 138 at 893 fps avg, and that same 4.0 grains of red dot at 840 fps for a pf of 130. I can't give you accuracy in terms of group size since I didn't do that yet, but these loads worked pretty well for me. I suspect that the newer Alliant Red dot, which is supposed to be reformulated to be cleaner, might be a great load. I would suspect that Bullseye would work good (might be sooty) and 231 may also work well. I will likely be loading the 140's for any of our further Icore matches.

Generally if I have no load data, I used the same minimum load data for a heavier bullet (say for 155's) and put my lighter bullet on top and chrono them. Pressures will be lower. If the bullet is going too slow, you need to be careful of getting a stuck bullet.

Vince

Damn ya'll go light. Don't av nun o' them bitty bullets. I think I'm going to whip up a load with 185gr RNF Precision in front of either Clays or Universal for next weekend. That will have to do until I can get in something else. Thanks

well ya asked for an icore load, you didn't specify ;)

For a nice light minor load for 180 plated bullets, I like 3.5 gr of titegroup or 4.0 gr of 231. They both chug along at a very manageable 130-135 pf. I believe at these low velocities and pressures, you can probably load your 185's the same way and it'll only affect the velocity slightly. Max chage of 231 for a 180 is 5.0 gr, max charge for titegroup and a 180 is 4.7 gr so you are well below those limits.

Vince

Damn ya'll go light. Don't av nun o' them bitty bullets. I think I'm going to whip up a load with 185gr RNF Precision in front of either Clays or Universal for next weekend. That will have to do until I can get in something else. Thanks

Ah :D lite loads in the 610......once loaded up some 220 LSWC to 600 fps to shoot Bianchi

with. They shot suprisingly flat for the practical event (50 yrds), but then the mover :P

Had to hold 4 FEET off the target at the 25 yrd line :D I could actually hear the flat faced

bullet hit the cardboard !

My point is (yes, there is one) you might want to look at the lighter bullets even if you

have the heavy's, slow heavy bullets seem to take forever to topple poppers at any

distance when you download. And the longer the bullet is in the barrel the more chance you

can mess up the follow thru (if you get really fast)

Just my opinion, I don't have any 40/10mm ICORE loads for you,

But I am interested in peoples accuracy using 40 cases in the 610 for the 50 yard standards.

Just my opinion, I don't have any 40/10mm ICORE loads for you,

But I am interested in peoples accuracy using 40 cases in the 610 for the 50 yard standards.

I'm working on one now.. I have:

140 RN from Bear creek

155 HB-RN from Berry's

180 truncated cones from Bear creek

180 semi wadcutters from Bear creek

180 rnfp West coasts

200 gr TC from Bear creek

220 RNFP West coasts

Semi wadcutters are supposed to be good for that kind of thing.

Since it isn't a speed shoot, I could just have those available.. hmmmm.... :)

I COULD even use 10 mm cases :)

man I have alot of development possibilities lol.

I'm sticking with the 140's for speed shooting. They are loaded pretty short (1.140") and they make about 129 pf. More details later...

V

Glenn,

I'm just a dummy that shoots so take this for what it is worth.....

Don't change a thing!!!!!

Shoot your 610 with Major loads. You are already used to it, you are comfortable shooting it or you would be shooting Minor in USPSA. You know they work in your gun.

IT is only 1 match so why change? You will NOT be at a disadvantage.

For last years ICORE Postal match I shot my 646 with minor loads and then turned around and shot the 625 with Major loads ......did better with the 625 than the 646 even though it (646) is a little more accurate than the 625.

But then 25th overall in the Limited portion of the Postal match with a 6 gun shooting 170,00 Pf vs all them 8 shooters shooting soft 120,000 Pf loads doesn't mean much. ;)

It is all about your self CONFIDENCE and having FUN!!!!!!

MORE emphasis on FUN for me now.

HOPALONG

Ya what Hop said ;)

After a year of shooting my 686 or 620 or 66 for steel (less than minor) and then a week or 2 later use my 610 & 625 for IPSC (major), I just wasn't getting proficient with any of the above . So now I've gone to just my 625 with the same 185gr HBRN major loads for steel & IPSC. Consistantcy and overall performance have improved by a lot and getting better with each match.

For what it's worth...........

Hey Jerry V!!!!!

Man where you been???

How is the wheel gunnin going in Oregon? You whippin up on ole Walt S????

Good to see you out and about on the forums!

You about ready for another shot at ole D. Carden? He is shooting a whimpy 627 with 121,000 mousefart loads.......You know I wonder about him sometimes.....If he'd stick with his 625 he might get pretty good with it. ;)

See you around the forums!

Hopalong

Hey Hop,

Just been lurking here in the shadows , not much to say while I've been trying to get my game together.

Wheelgunning (IPSC) here is........lonely <_< With a few exceptions, it's just been Walt & I. :(

I really don't think of it as "whippin up on ole Walt" but rather teaching by example :rolleyes:

Actually, Dan should keep shooting them "poofy limp wrist loads" ...... I'll need all the advantage I can get for the rematch in Aug. :huh:

So when's that 625 coming out of the safe ??

Later.......

Man Jerry,

At least you have ole Walt "the New C class shooter" S. to shoot with.......

I know how you feel.....

It is and was only me for 2 years except the occasional one other or a bigger match!

625 might make it out by the fall......we'll see.

You and Walt keep up the good work.......Keep it fun though ;)

HOP

Ya what Hop said ;) Consistantcy and overall performance have improved by a lot and getting better with each match.
Jerry, after sleeping on it I think you and Hop are right. My original intent was to use this as trigger time to prepare for the Mississippi Classic. Major PF it is! B)