Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Loaded .45 Or 9mm

GIO

Gentleman (?)

For a single stack no comp/optics gun for SC and other minor PF games is there any advantage to building a 9mm 1911 over downloading and tuning a .45 1911?

the answer may save me 1.5-2k so any help would be appreciated...

GIO

If you are a B class shooter or Higher you will never be happy with a downloaded .45. I would get a 9x19 set up with a supported barrel(for feed reliability) and buy lots of cheap if not free brass and go to town!

There is an advantage to a 9x19 loaded to a 103PF with a 88-95gr bullet versus a 185 to 200gr .452 diameter bullet. The 9x19 feels and handles like a .22 in comparison to the .45 :lol: Good luck on your decision :) DougC

Hmmmmm...I think I am going to disagree a bit. :)

I have been thinking about shoot my single-stack 1911 (in 45 acp) for the local Steel Challenge matches.

I can't see it as being much of a disadvantage.

Of course, I have never went to the trouble of downloading 9mm to 103 power factor with 95gr bullets either. That sounds like a lesson in the frustration of getting the gun to run to me.

SC doesn't have lots of movement. Locally, we put down tarps to catch the spent brass. You get close to 100% of your brass back.

If you already load for 45, have and accurate load that doesn't kick like a mule, and the gun works...I'd go shoot.

I have a couple of both - but have never shot SC. With that caveat I will say I can shoot my 9mm single stacks faster at the same level of accuracy with factory 9mms over my pet 169PF loads of Clays and 200s with the .45s. It is quite likely different when you get to Flex's level, however.... :huh:

The very best thing you can do is shoot a gun that you like. Be it a 9mm or a 45. With each shot on a new target it is posible to shoot even a Revolver at the same pace as an auto.

If you plan to go to the world shoot for the first time just go with the gun you shoot now.

But be ready to get the bug. :D

The Steel Challenge is fairly new to me, but I had the same idea about downloading the .45ACP. I shot the .45 for two or three matches. Then, I tried a .22 for a couple.

You must take into account that I'm pretty low on the totem pole, so my thoughts may not be useful for better shooters.

While I'm sure that anyone could end up being faster with a 120 power factor 9mm, I don't see recoil making much difference at my skill level. This was easy to see when shooting the .22 rimfire. A slow first shot, poor shot calling, and poor transitions (due to not snapping eyes ahead) seemed to be about the same with either gun.

Actually my ruger .22 is way too muzzle heavy, so transitions are slower. I really feel more comfortable shooting the .45 at 170PF.

I sort of believe that a cleaner first shot, index, and shot calling are going to help me a thousand times more(at this point) than shooting light loads.

Plus, keeping the power factor the same as what I use in other matches should be one less thing to mess with me mentally.

Thanks for the advice. Also what PF is Min for knockdown steel (set properly).

GIO

For steel challenge, you don't have to knock the steel down. It is loosely mounted and rings like a bell when hit. Plus, it is painted between shooters so that hits leave a witness mark.

You can probably goes as low as you want as long as the gun works and you don't have to lob the bullets to the targets. :) (go for what feels good, runs the gun, and hits where you want it to).

For USPSA/IDPA type shooting, steel is set to be knocked down with a hit to the main portion of the target using 125+ pf ammo. (If you shoot the 45 in USPSA or IDPA you will want to load to Major pf, which is 165pf.)