Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Tumble New Brass ?

I do, though it was .40.

I hardly ever use new brass any more. It costs five times as much as once fired. It's true, though, that forty is a lot more available than super.

I had all sorts of horrible problems with the brass sticking on the expander/flaring die. A professional reloader told me the brass I had bought (starline, fwiw) comes with a varnish to prevent tarnish. He said tumbling helps remove it.

I had all sorts of horrible problems with the brass sticking on the expander/flaring die. A professional reloader told me the brass I had bought (starline, fwiw) comes with a varnish to prevent tarnish. He said tumbling helps remove it.

The 1st time I purchased brand-new .40 brass I had the same problem. Pistolsmith called it "cat-claws". Left some nasty looking scratches on the powder funnel ( which came out after tumbling the powder die BTW) and also left tiny little brass flakes all over the bench.

He's the one who told me to try tumbling the brass first. Seemed to work on .40

Of course we all know the availability of good cheap $10/K .40 brass, I just wanted to see how much of a difference it would make in my chrono readings.

Edited by C.Keen

May already know these but i'm going to toss some stuff out there.

I don't tuble new brass because tumbling is to clean.. and new can't be dirty :)

even though there is no primer I still "deprime" to insure there really IS a flash hole in that brass.

I tumble the live rounds to make them all super shiny and slick after i'm done then box them so they look all neat and organized adn i can see those primers again then i take them to a match and shoot them :)

I tumble all brass, new, used, once fired and even brass that I'm not sure that I've tumbled before. The idea being that it cleans the brass and clean brass works better in the resizing die. New brass gets cleaned just to make sure all the factory forming lube is cleaned off.