Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's The Call?

dfwmiket

Course of fire includes shooting a Texas Star from port in a barricade......

The shooter engages the star, and blows thru a mag, and then gives up.

So only 2 plates of 5 were shot. How should this be scored? Any FTE?

I'm waiting to hear responses......

Mike

Mike

2 out of the 5 were hit? Well then, 3 mikes, no FTE. Unless you know for certain that he shot all his ammo at 1 or 2 of the plates left on the star, and not shooting at all at any of the remaining plates, you can't give a FTE.

I truely hope someone didn't stick this shooter with FTE's...if they did..they had better be able to swear on a stack of Bibles...that the shooter was only shooting at the two plates they knocked down.

If they can't...3 Mikes...thats it.

Edited by SteveZ

Sorry to ask the beginner question but what is the penalty for an FTE? I don't see that on our local score sheets. Do those count as procedurals?

Thanks!

John

Yeah..they're procedurals. Here's the actual rule from the 15th edition:

10.2.7 A competitor who fails to shoot at any scoring target with at least one round will incur 1 procedural penalty per target, plus the applicable number of misses, except where the provisions of Rules 9.2.4.5 or 9.9.2 apply.

The shooter in your scenario gets three misses as already stated.

10.2.7 A competitor who fails to shoot at any scoring target with at least

one round will incur 1 procedural penalty per target, plus the

applicable number of misses, except where the provisions of

Rules 9.2.4.5 or 9.9.2 apply.

You might want to check out the Rule Book

:D It is truly amazing how many of you are so much faster than me....posting as well as shooting. What Steve said.... :lol:

Edited by AikiDale

Mike

hey hey hey...he said he blew through a magazine, now, was he shooting a lim-10 or a single stack, or a 30 rounder. maybe it was a officers model colt? now what have we learned about asking questions. did he shoot more than 5 rounds at the star?:)

i'm going to bed now.

lynn

There is a port involved. Is it possible that not all the plates were visable? If one or more plates were not "activated", and made engageable, they would incur procedurals.

If the stage staff is unable to tell which targets have been engaged, you have a badly designed stage. Good reason not to use the Stars. :ph34r:

You're kidding, right?!?! Unless you know for sure that he DID NOT engage those specific (3) plates, you cannot give any FTE. Anyhoo, would the star not be considered ONE target? It just has 5 points to knock off.

The "Star" is the prop that holds the targets...like a plate "rack".

You engage the targets, not the prop.

But, no...you aren't going to be able to ding a shooter with FTE's as long as they have fired the enough shots.

Wide,

The Texas* is a great prop. You have to shoot moving targets. Properly set-up it presents the exact same INITIAL challenge to all that shoot. No different than a swinger or drop-turner. Once activated they are not the same, true enough, but a swinger to a fast shooter is far different than it is to a slower shooter. I get there and it is on it's first swing, really moving out, another gets there on the 5th swing, moving very slow. Drop-turner may not even be available to a slow shooter if there is any distance involved.

As to the question asked on this thread, the penalty would be three mikes, no FTE SO LONG AS THE SHOOTER FIRED A MINIMUM OF 5 ROUNDS. Since the T* is activated either by being hit once or by having an activator hit, all 5 plates are activated simultaneously, you cannot activate only one of the 5 plates, it is not possible.

Would I set it up wit a NS behind the T*, NO, that would be cruel and also too random, partial Haardcover in front on one side, maybe. We like to set it up on the opposite side of the pit from the activator and arrange vision barriers so that you have to activate and then move to the T*. Yes, i Suppose you could pass the activator, shoot the T* and then go shoot the activator, but I think that it would cost far more in time than it would ever be worth. Also I think there would be some penalties involved.

Jim