Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Olympic "plinker"

Nebraskan

I just got started in Limited Pistol, (My STI showed up today) and have already been looking at 3 gun. I already have an Olympic "Plinker" that I bought a few years ago to plink with.

I guess I am wondering, can I use it? Should I use it? Will I be competitive because everyone else will be laughing so hard they cant shoot? :lol:

Or should I take my lumps, sell it for what I can get for it and start over? Maybe a trigger job and use it? Or don't put another dime into it. The old saying--no matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd.

One more thing that could factor is I am left handed. I have heard that some of the manufactuers are selling left handed models. I assume they are full left handed models including safety, mag release and ejection. Is this true? If so, my decision may be made for me.

One more thing that could factor is I am left handed. I have heard that some of the manufactuers are selling left handed models. I assume they are full left handed models including safety, mag release and ejection. Is this true? If so, my decision may be made for me.

You may want a ambi-safety and ambi-mag catch...but I am left handed and I don't use either or see an advantage in them. Sweep the safety off with your trigger finger, for reloads I usually get the new mag out first then hit the mag release with my right thumb....use your trigger finger to hit the bolt release if it's locked open on the last shot.

Right handed uppers work fine for me, in fact I prefer being able to easily see the condition of the action. I notice the absence of brass flying past my face, that lets me know I need to reload or clear a malfunction.

I'm no expert, But, if this was my gun I would ask myself two questions: 1) Is the gun reliable. 2) Is it accurate enough to shoot in a 3-gun match. If you answer no to any or both of these then it is time for a change. If the answer is yes then I would shoot it. Who cares what name is on the outside of the gun, If it reliable and accurate then that is all you need.

Scott P

I have a friend that has one of those same guns. When the barrel warms up, the shots start to drift. Strangest thing I ever heard of. In my opinion, you are not going to loose any more money if you shoot a few hundred more rounds with it. I say shoot a match or two with it, the if you decide 3 gun is for you what it is for me, then you can upgrade. I've seen people jump in with both feet only to drown and never shoot again. Shoot whatcha got and upgrade slowly. Or just cut Benny Hill a HUGE check and go for it!! hahahaha..

Mike

Just shoot it. many use

Dont worry about wearing it out, you will wear out several barrels before you ever wear out a reciever if you keep it lubed.

As far as the left hand thing, go ambi not full lefty where you cant get parts.