Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Job

xuxupecheur

I've just purchased a 6in 7 shot 686-5 (frame mounted firing pin-no lock) in mint shape for $350 which I'm planning to use for ICORE.The reason I bought it is to save some money over a 627.

I'll have converted to accept moonclips, change sights to the ones I like, decent trigger job and I'll be ready to go.

Now: I've recently gotten a set of Vic's springs, tried them on my M13 and liked them a lot.

Other than polishing internals and good lube, is there anything else that could be done to lighten pull a little more without sending it to Randy. Will bobbing the hammer help? Extended firing pin?

Thanks,

Julio

Bobbing the hammer will allow you to lighten the mainspring to achieve a lower trigger pull. You have to be good with a Dremel and know what to remove on the hammer. There should be a thread on here from Mike Carmoney detailing what to do.

The lighter mass of the bobbed hammer allows it to travel faster, thus imparting more energy to the firing pin. Make sure your hammer isn't rubbing against the frame anywhere except where it has to (around the hammer stud), as this will rob the hammer of energy on it's way to the firing pin. This is especially true if the hammer rubs or contacts the frame in the recess around the firing pin.

Randy put an extended firing pin in my gun, and I have had no problems with it so far. Others on the forum have complained of high failure rates and overall poor fit and finish from the factory. I wouldn't look to that as an avenue towards lighter trigger pulls except as a last resort. If they were that necessary S&W and smiths everywhere would offer/use them. Go as light as you can with the factory pin, and go slow. If you remove to much of something it gets expensive to put it back.

Get a copy of Jerry's video on doing a trigger job and take a look at things yourself. Polish up the interior like Jerry suggests and get to know the gun. Really, with the Vic's springkit and a bit of shining up, you are pretty much set. You will have a nice trigger.

After that, it' all about you and practice - both dryfire and livefire.

I'll have the job done by a gunsmith as I'm barely capable of changing a light bulb.

What happens is that around here, in the Soviet Republic of NJ most gunsmiths cater to law enforcement personnel, hunters and God knows who else. They take no chances!

If you want something special you better tell them what and how you want it done. One gunsmith in particular has done few job for me and seems to be willing to go the extra mile.

When I asked about extended firing pin I meant installing one in addition to bobbing the hammer in order to get more consistent ignition. Right?

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!

Julio

By the way, does the same principle apply to hammer mounted firing pins?

xuxu, I bob my hammer on the old style (hammer mounted) But I do it so that I can keep my hand higher on the grip. That way the hammer spur does not hit the web between my thumb and for finger. I don't do the prettiest job but it's ok for me. rdd

I'll have the job done by a gunsmith as I'm barely capable of changing a light bulb.

What happens is that around here, in the Soviet Republic of NJ most gunsmiths cater to law enforcement personnel, hunters and God knows who else. They take no chances!

If you want something special you better tell them what and how you want it done. One gunsmith in particular has done few job for me and seems to be willing to go the extra mile.

When I asked about extended firing pin I meant installing one in addition to bobbing the hammer in order to get more consistent ignition. Right?

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it!

Julio

Julio even though I am from the land downunder. I can strongly recommend Al Greco from Als Custom Guns in New Jersey, he is a master gunsmith and very good with revolvers, ask Jason Pettit or Bruce Piatt.

Or just over the border in Topton PA, is Randy Hollowbush (who happens to be good friends with Al but strongly deny it) he is at The Handgunner Custom Gunshop, and has done the triggers on all of my revolvers.

PM me if you need contact numbers.

My 627 trigger cost me $40 as he was able to lighten the trigger off using factory parts and only needs to polish a bit.

;)

8Shooter knows his gunsmiths in this area. I live in NY, just outside of NYC. I'll also add Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle High Performance (PA area, near Topton) and John Blauvelt of JC Blauvelt Gunsmithing (upstate NY, Wallkill). Any one of the guys 8Shooter or I mentioned will do you right, they're all great gunsmiths AND great competitors. But it's not much more difficult to have your gun shipped out to Randy...

I'll have it done locally. Al Greco unfortunately is not in NJ but outside Pittsburgh, PA. As R112mercer observed shipping here or there is still shipping.

rwmagnus: how much more difficult? like posting a reply to a thread only once? Just kidding !!!

Thank you all for responding!!!

Julio

8Shooter knows his gunsmiths in this area. I live in NY, just outside of NYC. I'll also add Mark Hartshorne of Pinnacle High Performance (PA area, near Topton) and John Blauvelt of JC Blauvelt Gunsmithing (upstate NY, Wallkill). Any one of the guys 8Shooter or I mentioned will do you right, they're all great gunsmiths AND great competitors. But it's not much more difficult to have your gun shipped out to Randy...

Ah how could I forget Mark H ..... he also is a brilliant gunsmith and can probably be seen wearing one of my South Qld Wheelgunners shirts I trade with him at the Blue Mountain Classic Pin & Steel shoot.

Not surprisingly though Mark is related to Randy (through marriage) and did his apprenticeship at The Handgunner.

X .... sorry your right Als Custom is in Pitts.... (dam tourist what would I know).

These guys are constantly shooting matches ..... so you maybe able to catch them at a range to save on shipping. But I could assure you it is likely you would only need to ship once there and once back .... The trigger Randy did on my V-Comp was done in 2003 and had at least 20000 rounds through it without a single misfire or problem, and still works flawlessly to this day.

I myself would prefer to pay that extra and have it shipped and know it was going to be done right the first time.

I hope it all works out for you. :)