Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Minor Loads - Why Short?

Jack Suber

I was wondering why people are loading their 40 minor loads short? I understand if they are loading for a Production gun, but many people I know are doing the same for STI type guns with longer barrel throats. Just curious as to why? Are people seeing that these loads are softer "feeling" if they are loaded shorter? Just curious.

I would think that if you loading minor you likely using light bullets (135-155gr) and with bullet that light they are very short and thus you simple cannot leave them long as you will not get enough bullet in the case to hold on to it.

I now when I load 135gr Berry's I load them to 1.125 even though I load 180gr to 1.135 for my XD's. Even at 1.125 there is probably on about 0.100 of an inch of bullet in the case. If I loaded that bullet out to 1.2 I don't think it would stay in the case.

Just and Idea

mcb

Long oal and light loads leads to larger case volume than the powder charge "likes." As a result you get dirty, inconsistent loads. Shortening the oal allows for a samller sD for a given load.

It also acts as a visual indicator: long oal; IPSC Major. Short; Minor.

Long oal and light loads leads to larger case volume than the powder charge "likes." As a result you get dirty, inconsistent loads. Shortening the oal allows for a samller sD for a given load.

+1

+1

That makes sense. I have been loading minor loads for my son (180s) and loading them long. Primarily because I was lazy and would only have to switch powder measures on my 1050. Guess I'll have to set my 550 up for shorter loads. Thanks again.

That makes sense. I have been loading minor loads for my son (180s) and loading them long. Primarily because I was lazy and would only have to switch powder measures on my 1050. Guess I'll have to set my 550 up for shorter loads. Thanks again.

Just get the Redding Competition Seating die and you can get whatever OAL consistently each time just by turning the micrometer.

Edited by al503

I think most will agree that the first thing to look for when adjust OAL is to get the OAL that feeds best in YOUR gun.

That is #1 for me, anyway.

After that, I'd change powders if I had to to keep the gun feeding correctly. (If my powder/OAL combination caused pressure problems, for example.)