Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative To Docter?

open17

Pride Fowler Industries (www.rapidreticle.com) has a small red dot sight in the style of the Docter/Jpoint. Has some interesting features, and is priced competitively.

Has anybody tried one? I like the fact that it has glass lenses, and being able to change

batteries from the top is a plus. Whether it is durable enough is a question.

With the fate of the Docter in the US currently uncertain, this might be another option.

With the fate of the Docter in the US currently uncertain, this might be another option.

What exactly is the issue with Docter in the US?

We don't have any problems getting them here in Canada. It's usually the other way around. We usually don't have mych choice up here :(

Cheers

What exactly is the issue with Docter in the US?

We don't have any problems getting them here in Canada. It's usually the other way around. We usually don't have mych choice up here :(

Cheers

The US importer of Docter, BC Outdoors, apparently ceased to exist in January. AFAIK,

there are no Docter sights currently being imported to the US. Beven Grams probably

has the best understanding of the current situation.

Just got a call back the other day from John Pride about the "Pride-Fowler" Rapid Reticle/red dot sight. We reminisced a little bit about the "good old days" and then settled in some technical discussion concerning their red dot sight. I am indeed impressed by the information relayed about this nice, compact sight. It is also competetively priced, along a par with the Docter sight.

The Pride-Fowler sight differs from the Docter in that it offers a few features the Docter does not. Specifically it offers a front mounted switch that allows you to turn it completely off (rather than just sleep mode with the cover on) and really save on the battery, an "auto" setting (similar to the Optima/JPoint) for light sensor control of the dot brightness, or (best option) a "full" bright continuous for bright sunlight. Construction is aluminum and glass, similar to the Docter sight. The ambient light sensor is mounted in the front, again similar to the Docter. Mounting is similar to the Optima, but I'm told that it is just a tad bigger, but shorter than the Docter. My main concern was the durability of the mounting of the diode module, which has consistently been the downfall of the Optima and to some degree on the Docter. I am told that the Pride-Fowler diode module has a propietary mounting which is bolted down to the adjustment plate (which would had fixed the problems with the Optima/JPoint) not unlike the Docter, and like the Docter it has "lock down screws.

So far it sounds promising indeed. I am soon forwarding an order for a test unit for some thorough "drag down" testing. My biggest concern is the actual brightness of the dot, whether switched to auto or full bright in the very bright South Florida sunshine. Dot sizes according to the web-site vary up to 8 MOA or bigger, but are normally stocked in 5 MOA. I am one of those who uses a 6 MOA in my C-More, so I will get the test unit in the 5 MOA. I figure that if it is bright enough in that size, it would only be even more visible in the bigger sizes for future reference.

After I really test it, I wil post my findings here. If indeed there is to be some shenanigans obtaining future Docter samples ... well ... maybe this one can fit the bill??

My question here is: Who in this forum knows of specific issues with this sight, about its dot brightness, durability, etc. Comparison to the Optima/Jpoint or the Docter, etc.???????

I thought of starting a new thread, but maybe it would have been repetitive, considering this one is already here. Your comments would be appreciated, especially fair ones. The intent is not to compare it to the C-More, or get a comment like: ..."forget about it, get a C-More ... or ... the C-More is a better sight, why would anyone get anything else?... " This is meant for slide mounted applications where the C-More normally is not used, rather than frame mounted. Thank you.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

• 1 month later...
... And, oh yes, remember this sight was designed and is built by competitive shooters John Pride and Mickey Fowler. It is my belief that they are open to constructive evaluation. :D ...

Since two weeks I'm having this sight installed on my open G 34.

The auto function worked fine for dry training but for the action on the range I quickly shifted to the full on possition.

After 500 rounds it is still performing as with the first shot. The transition from C-More 6 dot to this sight, on full on possition, was not a big deal. The possitioning is much more natural than the 1 inch higher view through the C-More.

Only one small hick-up: after 450 shots the sight picture was all black. What happened: the battery cover must have unscrewed and on return of the slide this had flipped up in front of the window. After finding the battery on the floor, I installed and retightend the two cover screws. I must admid I had not checked these screws as the sight was deliverd with the battery installed.

I can't wait for the sun to come out to see how it performce outdoor in the sun.

... And, oh yes, remember this sight was designed and is built by competitive shooters John Pride and Mickey Fowler. It is my belief that they are open to constructive evaluation. :D ...

The auto function worked fine for dry training but for the action on the range I quickly shifted to the full on possition.

After 500 rounds it is still performing as with the first shot. The transition from C-More 6 dot to this sight, on full on possition, was not a big deal. The possitioning is much more natural than the 1 inch higher view through the C-More.

Only one small hick-up: after 450 shots the sight picture was all black. What happened: the battery cover must have unscrewed and on return of the slide this had flipped up in front of the window. After finding the battery on the floor, I installed and retightend the two cover screws. I must admid I had not checked these screws as the sight was deliverd with the battery installed.

I can't wait for the sun to come out to see how it performce outdoor in the sun.

Thanks for your reply and report.

The issue with the switch resetting itself to the full "on" from the "auto" should be discussed with John Pride, as to a remedy. That should not happen. The full "on" position is intended for full bright sunshine outdoors.

I would be interested as to your perceptions and dot brightness in full outdoor sunshine, as compared to your previous experience with the C-More. Thanks. :)

Thanks for your reply and report.

The issue with the switch resetting itself to the full "on" from the "auto" should be discussed with John Pride, as to a remedy. That should not happen. The full "on" position is intended for full bright sunshine outdoors.

I would be interested as to your perceptions and dot brightness in full outdoor sunshine, as compared to your previous experience with the C-More. Thanks. :)

I think I expreseed myself not very clear. I personaly switched the sight from auto to full as I liked the full brightness better for IPSC shooting, this was nothing to blaim the sight. For the time being I have no experience outside and I can hardly wait to find out the outcome. If it is as visible as indoors I will love the sight. If not bright enough I might have to reconsider the set-up for outdoor matches.

Lucky Luke-

Glad to hear it was my bad reading. :wacko: One of the things that is so atractive is that switch from auto to full on, or to off to save the battery if you loose the cover or keep the cover off purposely. :)

Please keep us posted as to your "brightness" findings and satisfaction with the dot in full-on and in the auto position outdoors in bright sunshine. I am keepeing my fingers crossed, hoping for the best. After all we do need a viable substitution for the Docter and the JPoint in slide mounted red dots.

By the way, you did mention that your previous C-More was a 6 MOA dot? How about the Pride-Fowler? Is it a 5 MOA or a 6 MOA also?

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

• 3 weeks later...
Lucky Luke and Venry, have you had a chance to test the Pride Fowler more? Just curious how it is doing -- dot brightness in sunlight and reliability.

I have not tried the Pride-Fowler yet. I have been awaiting on feedback. So far it looks like a good substitute for the JP/Optima and the Docter. I will be ordering shortly a few of these sights for installation where the Docter was originally requested. Seems like there are no Docters out there to be had, etc. The Pride-Fowler has been around for a while, even before the Docter, kind of like a "kept secret" thing, mostly sold to law enforcement and military types and such. :ph34r: But they'd better jack up production for the secret is out now.

AlamoShooter Posted Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Is this like the TruGlo sight? made by Hako for TruGlo

the one I got moved the inpact point every time I set the lock screw I could not get it sighted in. = the TruGlo that is

JF

No. The Tru-Glo is a very nice red dot sight, very small and convenient with a light sensor regulator built-in for dot brightness regulation like the JP/Otima and Docter, and a top accessible battery tray. But the Tru-Glo is not suitable for semi-auto slide top mounting. When they first came out I tested them melted in a slide. It lasted only five shots before the dot module came apart. I had consulted with the nice folks at Tru-Glo who thought it might hold up to the pounding of the slide. But it did not, as the module is held/glued similarly to the JP/Optima. The Tru-Glo, on the other hand is a great choice for frame mounting rearwards, where it can reside nicely and very visible. Their price did "unexpectedly" go up though, and that is a "bummer".

I'd say "pass" on the Tru-Glo idea. I picked one up from Cabelas the other day. Looked great in the store. Has some real nice features. Could have been the ticket.

However, outside in bright sunlight the 4 minute dot was nowhere to be found. It was technically there... faint... and next to useless.

The hot ticket for me right now is a 4 minute JPoint, slide mount, with the dual battery setup. Niiiiiice. :D:D:D

• 6 months later...

Seems like a silly Q. but, - aren't all Doctor sights void of warranty unless they are first sent to Bevin for modification? What is involved in that modification and how is it done?

What modifications are needed to the J-Point and new Pride sight to keep them running?

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm interested if anyone has done anymore testing? I was thinking about trying the "Special Ops Compact Sight" on a mount.

Thanks,

DM

Hi,

I'm now enjoying the Special Ops Compact Sight for the last nine months. After putting + 3500 rounds of all kind of ammo through my guns (I had it installed on two different Glocks) during numbrous indoor and outdoor IPSC matches, I can say the following:

Nice piece of craft

Never let me down (only lost one battery lid screw :huh: , replaced nicely the broken one)

Still on the first battery for indoor (used a new for a big international outdoor match)

During summer on a bright and sunny day it is at his limitation. Thanks to the natural possition you can still go for the long shots but it is not a C-more. On a range with some shade (trees or constructions) it did the job. Indoor I love it.

Only 2 adjustments to the zero needed on this nine months (could be also ammo related)

Would I do it again? Yes, my as good as new C-more is enjoying his rest somewhere in my cabinet.

Do I have whishes left? Yes, The full on might be even more bright aswell as the basic setting for the Auto possition. Whatever light I found the Auto always a litlle weak.

Maybe John reads this and comes out with an upgrade version. :)

Hope this gives you an idea.

Rgds