Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin Retainer Walking On Benelli M1 Lightened Bolt?

5Shot

With my new lightened bolt there is nowhere for the O-Ring on the Firing Pin Retaining Pin to bear against, and it wants to walk out and rub on the inside of the receiver. It isn't a huge deal to me, but I thought I would ask you guys -

Any secrets to keeping it in place?

I am going to pick up a rubber washer tomorrow that has the same dimensions as the O-Ring and see if that works. I figure that since the outer surface is square and not rounded, that might work.

Thanks,

5Shot

I Drilled a 1/8 inch hole next to the retaining pin where the rubber o-ring is and put a 1/8 roll pin in the hole with red locktite. Now when I have the retaining pin in the rubber o-ring pushes on the roll pin just like it did on the metal that was machined away. The roll pin only sticks up about the same amount as the retaining pin. I did this because if on an AR-15 the pin comes out it will stop the gun and I did not want this happening on my Benelli.

Scott P

Hummmm,

Sounds like that material should not have been removed in the first place. ;)

call the co. tell'em whats going on'''if there reputable,,they'll take care of you,if not,don't get mad get even,,you paid for services ,, then you should'nt have to work on your Benelli at all,, :D

Hummmm,

Sounds like that material should not have been removed in the first place. ;)

call the co. tell'em whats going on'''if there reputable,,they'll take care of you,if not,don't get mad get even,,you paid for services ,, then you should'nt have to work on your Benelli at all,, :D

If the bolt was milled so much that the o-ring has no shelf or wall to pin itself against, then WAY too much material was removed. I would actually be concerned about the now very thin wall supporting the bolt.

It wouldn't be "telling mom" to name the company or person doing this work, you'd actually be helping them improve the service AND preventing others from falling into the same position.

I milled the bolt in question. I have milled most of the top benelli shooters gun's like this for years. NO ONE HAS EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. I have personally shot over 50,000 rds w/o a hitch. It is much ado over nothing.

I milled the bolt in question. I have milled most of the top benelli shooters gun's like this for years. NO ONE HAS EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. I have personally shot over 50,000 rds w/o a hitch. It is much ado over nothing.

You milled mine too. But there's plenty of shelf left for the o-ring to keep the pin from walking. I'm using the bolt you milled for me to see how much more must have been removed in order to prevent the o-ring from gripping.

Would you have milled more material from his than mine for some reason?

Edited by homeinvader

I would like to clarify this thread a bit - at no time did I say that I was having problems with the gun (I fired several hundred flawless rounds through it prior to this post). what I did say was:

It isn't a huge deal to me, but I thought I would ask you guys -

I had already talked to Benny prior to my post, and he assured me it was fine. I trust him, and I am sure there are several hundred happy customers here on be.com and elsewhere. In fact, I have never read a single complaint about his work - and my post IS NOT A COMPLAINT. I simply asked if anyone had a trick for keeping the pin retained as before (and someone actually responded with an answer to the question). If I had thought it a problem, I would have handled it with Benny, not through this forum.

The work that was performed is what I asked for, and it only took 4 days to get it back!

If the bolt was milled so much that the o-ring has no shelf or wall to pin itself against, then WAY too much material was removed. I would actually be concerned about the now very thin wall supporting the bolt.

Not true - there is FAR MORE material left on the side of the bolt that was milled then there is on the opposite side where the cam pin is located (prbably 2X's as much).

As Benny said - It is much ado over nothing.

I just like to tinker and that is all.

Benny - be assured that if I need any more work I will not hesitate to call you, and I appologize for this turning into more of an issue than was ever necessary.

5Shot

Not true - there is FAR MORE material left on the side of the bolt that was milled then there is on the opposite side where the cam pin is located (prbably 2X's as much).

As Benny said - It is much ado over nothing.

5Shot

I agree with benny - Much ado over nothing.

Here is my bolt with a roll pin added to help keed the retaining pin in place. It is probably not needed, but I installed it anyway.

post-1803-1142397142.jpgpost-1803-1142397166.jpg

This bolt was not worked on by anyone on this forum. I am very happy with how it came out. It works great!! and looks great. It has a cool slab side look to it. If you look carefully at a benelli bolt it has so much material to it, it would almost be imposable to machine too much material off of it. If you got enough material off it to damage the structure of it, it probably would not run because the bolt would be WAY to light. - IMHO anyway.

Scott