Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ready To Take The Plunge Into Reloading

I'm currently shooting the following calibers:

** 9x19mm for Production

** .45 ACP for Limited-10 and Heavy Metal 3 Gun

** .223 for tactical 3 Gun

** .308 for Heavy Metal 3 Gun

I looked at what I've spent over the last year and I spent the most $$$ on the .45 and .308. Seems like that's where I should start. I've made up my mind to get a Dillon machine. I'm not sure which one.

Comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

The 650 also has the extra station for powder check. The powder check will save a gun and some skin eventually, I've seen a few double charges a'splode in my time. The extra cost of the 650 will be easily justified by saving a firearm (and maybe a hand or eye) one day. I use the 650.

The 550 is awesome too, the 650 is awesomer though... :D

The basic differences are easy to research. The 650 loads faster with an extra safety measure. If you choose the 550, check each case for powder mistakes.

The 1050 is faster still, but only has a 1 year warranty due to it's commercial intended use. The 1050 is a good machine, but not so easy to swap calibers.

The 550 seems like the most affordable (Dillon) option for you.

As Ihatepickles points out, the only real drawback seem to be the lack of a powder checker. To me, this alone would justify buying the 650.

I have owned all of the dillon machines at one time or another, so count this as a vote for the 650 as well. They all will have problems, they all will fail or break something at one time or another, so be ready for that. The 1050 is not covered by the no BS warranty (maybe just a little BS), but the 650 has more safety features. Get the spare parts kit, and take your time...

Call Brian and get a 650. Since you're new to reloading take your time in the beginning to learn and get comfortable with the machine. After a short period the added benefits of the 650 will outweigh the extra cost.

Good Luck, Craig

I'd go with the 650.

The lack of auto-indexing on the 550 has resulted in every KB I've ever witnessed.

Of course not a fault of the machine, but it definitely leaves a gaping opening for operator error if you're interrupted for any reason while loading.

Never owned or used a 550.

XL650 with casefeeder ROCKS !

Auto index is really important to me, I also have a powder checker, and also look into every case as I load it. Overkill ? You bet.

What is really super cool about the XL650 is never having to take your right hand off the handle during loading, I don't know why this strikes me as super cool , but it is.

Brian can hook you up with Dillon stuff.

Travis F.

I started with the 550 only because I found one localy for CHEAP with 10 dif. dies & conv. kits! I just recently bought the 550 casefeeder and now it runs like a well maintained Caddy! I have well over 20K through the 550 with NO SQUIBS OR DOUBLE-CHARGES of any kind. Careful attention to details is better than a $50 powder-check.

Now I have never owned a 650 so I dont know how easy it is to change calibers, but on the 550 I can go from 9mm to .40 to .223 in a wink of an eye. Switching over to .45 takes a little longer because of changing the primer setup.

If I was going to buy a new press I would start with the 650, take your time, learn how to do everything one stage at a time. That is a benefit to the 550, that you can easily see what is happening every stage of the way (until the casefeeder hops on board!) With the 650 it can be tricky to see clearly what is going on with diff. stages. After you got everything tuned to your liking it's like knowing the back of your hand.

Call Brian, and listen carefully to what he says!

Good luck!

I'd recommend a 550 unless you are positive that you'll buy a casefeeder then maybe buy a 650. Comparing a 550 vs. 650 caliber conversion kit, you'll pay an extra $20-$25 each time for the 650 casefeeder components if you use them or not. That should tell you the 650 is really meant for a case feeder and Brian basically says don't buy a 650 without the casefeeder in his Dillon FAQ.

I have a 550 setup and it suits my needs well. 500 rds/hr is fast enough for me when loading pistol ammo. If budget is a big concern, the 550 also wins over the 650. The 550 fits a nice price/utility niche that would serve many reloaders well, but many people like their 650s. It'll be hard to make a bad decision between the two.

Edited by 1911user