Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Credit Card Scams

bountyhunter

I just got an e-mail titled:

Notice: Your VISA account has been suspended.

Well, I have no account with VISA, so that is not much of a threat. But if you do, you might open it and do what it says: they say they can't "unlock" your account until you go to "their" site and "update" some information.

It's a scam to get personal info so they can create fake accounts using your identity.

We get them all the time from all sorts of people.

"Mr Michael Smith" was the latest, He is from Nigeria, he wanted twenty GPS units and wanted to pay by credit card. We are talking $8000 here. No problem just send me your card number and delivery address and we will get to it. :lol:

Wait two days, get credit cards, Gold ones too, Chase Mahattan and "Mr Smith" is really from Wyoming. Immediately call the bank and explain the situation and they are real grateful.

I then wait a couple more days, then kindly inform "Mr Smith" that his cards were no good, but I want to get this sale done, SO could he please send me some that work. If you make it sound innocent enough and that you really want to help, you get another pair of card numbers. BTW he has now added a dozen (thats twelve for the McDonalds employees), Nokia phones so we are getting to be a real good customer now. :blink:

So I ring the lady (Jennifer, we are on first name basis now) at the bank again and give her the two new numbers, "Mr Smith" has now got a pair of Visa Cards from some First National Bank of ???? County, and has moved to Indiana. Shit that boy can travel, I bet he racked up a zillion air points. Needless to say those cards are now zapped.

Got another email from "Mr Smith" on Saturday about the delivery, the boss thinks I should try for the third strike. I will let you know how it goes.

I just had my Check card scammed for about a grand....

5 local banks had accounts harvested and someone in Georgia had a really good time. In excess of 250K was taken.

As an aside.

When I was up in Missouri at the Bianchi Cup last May, I gave my credit card to Bill Laughridge for some parts he was to order, never a problem before.

So Bill heads home to order parts I head for parts west. Over the next week or so I spend a bit on Gas and Hotels heading west, if you start at Columbia MO and head towards Las Vegas and then LA, you can use a fair amount of gas. Bill gets home orders the parts, they come in, he bills card. We are now flitting around LA and the cards go POP. It seems the credit card company noticed that I had been somewhere on the west coast and someone was trying to use my card somewhere east of the Mississippi, NOT.

When we get back to Columbia there are some parts on the table and a note that the card will not work. But I already knew that when I tried to get gas on the way out of LA. Just as well I carry a backup.

Credit card company thought the card had been stolen, and put a stop on it. Inconvenient but they were doing the right thing. Credit Card reactivated when we get back to New Zealand and Bill got his money later that week. Real good of him to send the parts anyway and wait for me to contact him.

Anyway alls well that ends well. And great service from Cylinder and Slide.

Edited by gm iprod

I get one or two per week it seems. Often from a bank in the area saying that my account has some irregularities and trying to get my debit card info, etc.

Ebay scams come at least once a week. They, at least lately, take the form of a question from another Ebayer asking me about something I bid on or sold. Of course I know it is a "mistake" and when I click to reply I get a log-on page wanting my Ebay password, etc.

Paypal scams come once a week, too. They say my account will be suspended unless....

Irritating to say the least. I wonder how many folks actually fall for these?

Bob

I just got an e-mail titled:

Notice: Your VISA account has been suspended.

Well, I have no account with VISA, so that is not much of a threat. But if you do, you might open it and do what it says: they say they can't "unlock" your account until you go to "their" site and "update" some information.

It's a scam to get personal info so they can create fake accounts using your identity.

I must get a dozen of these a week...

IMHO - never respond to an email request. If it's legit, someone will phone. If they indeed do, tell them you respond only to verifiable USPS mailings - never telecons.

Just went through this with AM_X, pursuant to a phone call from (they said) their legitimate call center in I-no-canna-speaka-English-a-stan or somewhere. Finally got a call from a (somewhat pissy) "supervisor" on the East Coast - who got pissier when I insisted on a mailing. All of this because they were after me to upgrade my card... :P

Ebay scams come at least once a week. They, at least lately, take the form of a question from another Ebayer asking me about something I bid on or sold. Of course I know it is a "mistake" and when I click to reply I get a log-on page wanting my Ebay password, etc.

I'm getting those too. Imagine my surprise when I realize that I HAVE NO E-BAY ACCOUNT!

Yes, it's true..... I admit it...... I'm the guy, the one person who does not buy things on e-bay.

But my wife more than makes up for it. We have this little dog and she spends all her evenings looking for clothes to put on it.....

At least she's not out drinking at bars. Which actually would be cheaper, and she'd probably come home horny, so I would be OK with that.

BTW, the dog hates the clothes and runs when she sees my wife coming at her with them.

n2ipsc - Is your avatar a pic of your Dane? I have a black one, goes by the name of Vader :P

I'm pretty happy with my Yahoo spam filter...not that I don't ever get emails from Nigeria anymore, but they are few and far between.