Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga

Loves2Shoot

L2S,

I shoot a 20ga 1100 and love it. They are lighter, recoil much less, and I shoot them faster.

The downside is that you usually have to shoot 1 choke tighter than a comparable 12ga to have the same shot density so you suffer with a smaller pattern. I shoot open and have a holosight on my shotgun so being slightly more careful on the sight picture is not a problem. Before getting this gun, I shot a 12ga Benelli Practical and a shorter 12ga Benelli along with a 12 ga 1100. After the first match with the 20, it was not even a question which one I would shoot in the future.

I am not a range lawyer but hear grumbling that they might change the rules as they pertain to 20 ga. I would certainly investigate that before making a purchase. Also check with the other ruling bodies that hold matches you might want to attend and see how they feel about the 20 too. For what I know, they might legislate the 20 out of 3-gun.

If they are NOT an advantage (as most of the 12ga people claim) I do not see why anyone would need to outlaw them. I personally feel that they are more fun to shoot and I shoot them faster ... and think of the poor Juniors (the future of our sport!) ... they need the opportunity to compete! ;)

Leo

Edited by L9X25

Thanks! I was pondering that this morning with the way the rules change all the time. The 10 vs 8 rounds seems like it might be a bigger deal than in a pistol depending on how long it takes to change a mag. If I went with the 20 my gut tells me they might ban it or make it minor somehow ;) I like the idea of cheap and mags and maybe even a Kobra sight (I had one once and they are cool.)

One of our local shooters is shooting a sagia 12 with mags modified to hold 10 rds by some one from San Angelo. The shotgun is not quite 100% yet but close and getting better. If he hits his reloads he loads 10 faster than some of our better open shotgun shooters load 4 with speed loaders. When all the bugs get worked out this platform will be hard to beat in open shotgun.-----Larry

My 20 knocks down poppers and plates like gangbusters. No issues, even with no choke.

The only downside is trying to find 20 guage slugs. They are hard to find sometimes.

L

In my area they tend to put poppers out at extended distances. Since math works, a 20ga cannot have the same pattern density as a 12 ga while maintaining the same size pattern. At the longer distances the 20ga pattern density will thin out and make it less consistent at taking the steel. By use a MOD choke, the pattern stays dense enough to take the steel with authority. The 12 ga guys can shoot IC at the same distance and have a larger pattern with sufficient density to take the steel consistently.

I collect 20ga slugs anytime I find them. The can be scarce at times.

Leo

My 20 knocks down poppers and plates like gangbusters. No issues, even with no choke.

The only downside is trying to find 20 guage slugs. They are hard to find sometimes.

L

And buck shot, all I could ever find was #3. I used mod. choke all the time when I shot 20ga. The best load I ever found was the rem hvy dove load 21/2 dram 1oz of 6s. Whith the 20 ga and mod choke you get a real long shot string that puts a lot of shot on target and takes steel well, but its about like shooting a rifle, you really have to be on them. The 5/8 rem slug is the real deal in lo recoil slugs and is accurate. But when you take into account the lighter wt. of the 20ga guns and the loads used I dont think there is any or very little reduction in recoil. I went to 12 ga, just so much more aviable in loads, accessories and guns to put up with the 20ga short comeings. Larry

IMO, based on side by side comparison, using:

Fred and Professor McCoy's customized Saigas (standard stocks, mid-barrel comps, Doctor sights) as well as my and Liota's customized Saigas (Tapco M4 stocks, pistol grips, Doctor sights, choked (her S20 has a Polychoke to my S12's factory chokes)).

The S20 feels faster (cycle-wise) than the S12: Advantage S20

The S20 has factory 10-round magzines (vice hunting down twice as many 5-round S12 mags as you need and sending them all off to San Angelo with a health check and a dose of patience): Advantage S20

The S12 has far more types of ammunition available: Advantage S12

I like Liota's S20 better than my backup shotgun (a converted S12) due to the snappy (rifle-like) cycling as well as the easy to use (and find) factory magazines; with the Polychoke on it now, it seems to be the hot ticket. Well, as long as the shooter buys their favorite ammo by the case lot and keeps a healthy stock of same on hand... :)

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag..._Open_dec05.jpg

Alex

Tapco's single hook trigger set.

Dr. McCoy has used several of the high-dollar "adjustable" sets in his S20, but has had every brand fail under the crucible of competition thus far (although the pull/release trigger was my favorite :) ), and is down to the standard Tapco set ;)

Alex

I sold out my 20 when I got my 12.

Couple of reasons, some won't matter to you.

I shoot mostly local matches. Some dictated 00 buck. Not possible with the 20.

One match dictated 12ga.

The magazines only work with the designated shell. i.e. 3 inch is not reliable with 2 3/4. This mattered as I intended to make up performance with loadings. IIRC, you could get buckshot #3 in one length and #4 in the other, so I wanted to be able to use either without having 2 sets of mags ($$ reasons).

Ammo selection is diminished. (harder to find loads in #6, #5, etc). When I sold mine, I made some money as I had purchased ~50 boxes of slugs at $1/5 rounds that I sold to new owner for $1.5/5 :) I miss Galyans!

Didn't know domestic mags were coming, but that also would steer me to the 12 as I doubt you'll see any mags, or other accessories developed for the 20ga.

I miss the shotgun a lot, I'll eventually get another. Here's why.

I expected them to recoil the same (lighter gun+ lighter shell = heavier gun+heavier shell .... not), but the 20 was noticibly lighter in my hands.

Reloads were easier (shorter mag? narrower mag?). Don't know why.

It shot very accurate with slugs.

Thanks guys, I have a S12 on the way, as ammo here is pretty limited and I trust the guys who have had it before me. Thanks for the input!!!

Any suggestions on the best way to mount my Eotech Holosight? I think that should work ok, if I hit the weights a bit :)

Edited by Loves2Shoot