Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Slide Unlock

GmanCdp

was at a shop the other day and a shooting buddie had his G34 in the shop saying that his gun was shooting to the left at least 8"...anyway found out his bbl had excessive play at the end towards the chamber..anyway i get home and check the play difference of mine to his..but what i did notice on mine was that when pulling the trigger,at the very end,right before it fires,the slide will unlock just a little..when you go ahead and dry fire it,you can see the slide move alot..i 'm using an lighter recoil spring...and when you also dry fire at an angle,the slide will not lock backup....sometimes i will have to push the slide backup for it to resett....... :wacko:

This problem is common to striker fired guns. If your recoil spring is lighter than the striker spring, the trigger bar will pull the slide backwards when you pull the trigger.

Run a heavier recoil spring or a lighter striker spring. Of course, both decisions have consequences so if you're not sure about primer sensitivity or frame battery than talk to a gunsmith that knows how to race-up a striker fired pistol.

Not only light recoil springs, but the "variable rate" springs that get progressively stiffer as they are compressed. They supposedly reduce recoil because they are light coming out of battery, but protect the frame as the spring gets stiffer as it loads up.

I bought a G35 with an aftermarket recoil spring assy and I noticed it did not always stay in battery with it. The stock spring works fine so I am staying with it.

I also had a friend that was having these problems and came to the conclusion that the ISMI springs were loosing their spring pressure. They were also breaking frequently. He was using a 13#. Now that he switched to a 12# Wolff the problems have gone away. I think that that Wolff's beafier design holds it's tension better. It is odd that a lighter spring from another manufacture would remedy the problem but it did. The Wolff springs also provide a smoother action. I have since switched to Wolff myself in all of my Glocks. I am running the 14# in all of my .40 cal Glocks. You will, however, need to use either a Wolff or T.H.E. guide rod with the Wolff springs. You can find all of the Wolff products HERE. Best of luck and good hunting. Hope this information helps-

If you need a better known spokesman, check out Dave Sevigny. He uses Wolff springs and a T.H.E. extended tungston guide rod in his limited/limited10 gun. No better advice than the top Glock shooter in the world! :blink:

thats what i wanted to know..i'm useing the ismi #13 spring,they worked for around 300 rnds ,then started doing the unlock problem..appears to make the gun shoot softer...not a full time glock shooter,guess it would be best to go back to a stock spring???

You have a mismatch between your recoil spring and striker spring. If you go lighter than 15# in a G34 you need to go for a lighter striker spring for good reliability. Stock is fine for a 9mm, the recoil is minimal anyway, and the stock setup is the most reliable. It does shoot softer with a lighter recoil spring however.

I have roughly 10,000 rounds through my G34 with 13# ISMI spring and reduced power striker with good results. I do notice that I have to clean the striker channel more often; the lighter striker spring can't overcome much gunk in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing you might want to look at is the guide rod. I was using captured guide rods, and got one that the capture screw was catching on the slide opening. I switched to an uncaptured, and the problem went away. The slide would catch on the edge of the screw on the forward motion and stop the slide from completing full lock-up.