Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Mag Tubes

al503

I'm going to load up dummy rounds (sans powder and primer) so I can practice with the full weight of a loaded gun on draws and reloads. Having all STI mags currently, I decided to get an SVI 170 and 2 140 mags for dedicated dry fire practice. I just wanted to be absolutely certain that there was no way I would mix up a mag with live rounds in it (even though I never have a loaded mag at home anyway) and since the mags are very easy to differentiate...

Anyway, got the mags today and woof. They are ugly. The lips are noticeably different in dimensions along with the fact that the cutouts in the rear of the mag (facing the MSH) are not even centered. Two of the mags are rounded in the front (side facing the frontstrap) while the third is completely flat. Also, whoever was manning the grinding wheel was not very good or very angry that day.

I think I'm going to have these sent off to Beven or Brazos for polishing and tuning (even though they're dry fire only) as I can't stand looking at them. I can't even get a basepad on the 170.

Edited by al503

I returned them as I don't think either Bob or Beven could do much to make them look any better (and I didn't want to spend another $45 a tube + shipping to tune them).

I purchased a 140 STI mag tube from Shooter's Connection and it was very nice. It also runs in my gun without any tuning. I ordered another 140 and a 170 to go with it. I'll just paint them or put some colored electrical tape around the bottom by the basepad so I don't get them confused.

SV tubes "used to be" the nicer ones - the ones that hardly ever needed tweaking AND had better quality of build & finish.

Sad.

All of my SV mags (over 20 of them) look like jewelry, inside and out, and I have never sent a single mag off to be "tuned" by anybody. All of the others that I have ever seen look great too.

Maybe you were just unfortunate enough to get a bad batch?

What did SV have to say about them?

All of my SV mags (over 20 of them) look like jewelry, inside and out, and I have never sent a single mag off to be "tuned" by anybody. All of the others that I have ever seen look great too.

Maybe you were just unfortunate enough to get a bad batch?

What did SV have to say about them?

Yeah. I should have taken some pics but I didn't want to waste any more time with them. I think they were either built on monday or friday and slipped by QC that day. If I had a business, nothing like those would ever get out the door.

I bought them from a vendor who had no issues with me returning them.

Sorry about that Leo.

To clarify, the only problems I've seen first-hand are on the newest 2005-2006 mags and those would be

1. not dropping out of the gun freely

2. the straightening Beven had to do on customer mags at last year's Area 6 and

3. not as pretty as they used to be - at trip in the tumbler can fix that

Update:

I just got a couple more STI mag tubes from Chuck at Shooter's Connection and they look much better than the SVI tubes. A basepad actually fits on them and I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see if they will run in the gun like the other tube I got from Chuck.

I just bought 6 SV mags. They are beautiful all polished from SV. They work great too. I just bought a STI mag for dry fire I thought it was ugly and the rounds rattle around in it.

Edited by AWLAZS

• 1 month later...
Why risk it. Why not just use CRTC training mags. They are very close to the weight of a real mag adn bullets adn there is no confusing them. Find them at

http://www.benniecooley.com/

Majja

I have two of them. They don't lock into the gun so when you draw they go flying accross the room. They also don't feel the same on a reload.