Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Outsourcing Customer Service

al503

Hate is a strong word but I'm f'n pissed off.

Background:

Sent in my check to Capital One (CO) for my credit card. Sent it for $160. They claim that it was only for $16. They tell me that I'll need to get a copy of the cancelled check. Sounds reasonable. I call my bank the next day and they tell me that CO processes the checks electronically, so they don't get the cancelled check back. In short, I can't get a copy but my account was only debited $16. My bank tells me that they get several of these issues from CO weekly.

I call Capital One back today to try and tell them that I can't get a copy and that I want the $35 overdue payment fee reversed. I ask her to look at my history for the past freakin' 6+ years and see if I've never paid off the balance in full or not. She says that I've never missed or shorted a payment. I suggest that someone fat fingered the amount (everyone makes mistakes) and that based on my past record with them, they should at least investigate or reverse the charge.

The customer service person can't understand what the f*ck I'm asking. I get switched to 3 different people and put on hold while they are looking for the right canned response on their f*cking cheat sheets.

The last hold was for 8 minutes and I'm sure the person was praying for me to just hang up, which I did because I had to get back to work.

I understand that by outsourcing, the board and the officers will get a 4 million dollar bonus instead of 3 and they can spend all that money on those commercials with the vikings. But J/C! Is it asking too much to have one person fluent in English to deal with questions that are more involved than just what's my f'n balance?

I think I feel better now. :angry::wacko::blink:

*Update*

Don't know if this makes me feel better or not but Wells Fargo can and will order a copy of the check from CO. I asked my banker that if they have a copy of the check, why the f can't they look it up instead of making me do it. She said that it's probably another hoop to make it more difficult or deter their customers from seeking a reversal of charges.

After I use up my miles/points with them, I'm cancelling the card.

Edited by al503

I have a friend who worked for a competing credit card company. Capital one bought them, said nothing would change.

They took over ownership at 9:00AM, my friend was unemployed at 9:01. They met everyone in the parking lot with security, told them to leave.

Guess they are your stereotypical globalized corporation, which is not a good thing.

Ted

MBNA has a neat trick...They mail you your statement and make it due about 8 days later (despite the billing period ending 2 weeks prior to the receipt date). They also have a policy that the payment must be received , not post marked by the due date. But hey, if you pay online, it shouldn't matter right? Wrong, they require 2 days to process electronic payments. :huh: But for a $35.00 fee, they'll waive the 2 day fee and you can pay on the due date. How much is their late fee? Yup, $35.00. I don't speak from personal experience as I haven't sent a late payment yet...But I read their email flyer offering this great service. Truth is they draw the funds the same date you electronic pay but don't credit it for two days. I'm sure there is a lag on the other side too when they pay the vendors. Nice manuver to use the money to earn extra interest/investment income don't cha' think?

CO bought out the company my car loan was with. They sent a letter noting the change and I never got anything after that.

They called one day as my payment was due and I forgot since I didn't get a statement to jolt the brain as I had way to much going on at the time. They wanted to charge me a fee to pay by phone but then said I had until a certain date and it would not be considered late so I said I will mail it before I pay you a stupid fee.

Never got a statement in the mail after that and would send them a note on it each month with my check. After 8 months I said this is BS. Added a note in with my check and said if you can't send me a statement then I can't send you a check and bingo a statement for the next month followed shortly.

I think they could care less how they treat the customer as long as they get your money one way or the other.

Edited by AZ38super

I hear you on that one, but just for the record: beware of USAA credit cards as well. My wife's was stolen and somebody ran up a ton of charges. We had a hell of a time getting them taken off.

The AT+T Mastercard was no sweat, in fact their computer tracking was so slick it shut down the account after only a couple of charges was made (and they removed the charges from her bill no questions asked).

If you get reamed by a credit card company, dump them like a hot rock: there are lot's more to choose from.

CO bought out the company my car loan was with. They sent a letter noting the change and I never got anything after that.

Same thing happened to our home mortgage. It got sold to this shady bunch of crooks named:

Meritor Mortgage

and they later changed their name to:

M-West Mortgage

They hasseled us about our insurance company and at one point tried to cheat us out of money for "coverage" they claim they had provided through their subsidiary company that sells insurance.

They are a pack of crooks.